May 27, 2012, 11:06 PM EDT
When people think of the 2012 Memorial Cup final between the Shawinigan Cataractes and the London Knights, two things will probably come to mind. One image is Anton Zlobin’s 2-1 overtime tournament-clinching goal; the other is the perpetual, interminable sound of a set of seemingly inexhaustible air horns.
Zlobin was the hero of the night, scoring both of Shawinigan’s goals while Ryan Rupert collected London’s only tally.
The U.S. version of the NHL Network carried the game, which was great for hockey fans who wanted a peek at prospects such as Brandon Gormley, Michael Houser, Jarred Tinordi, Vladislav Namestnikov, Austin Watson, Kirill Kabanov and so on.
Unfortunately, it also broadcasted that constant stream of crowd noise, providing many hockey fans with a far-from-fantastic first impression of Shawinigan, Quebec. (The empty, awful tone of those air horns has been cemented in my brain.) I cannot help but ask: what’s the allure of endlessly hammering away on one? The constant sound doesn’t indicate approval or take the place of a jeer; instead, it reminds one of a child who continuously asks “Why?” in a conversation.
Perhaps those questions are better left unanswered, but both teams deserve credit for their efforts. Did any players – highly touted, comparatively obscure or anywhere in between – stand out to you tonight? Share your rave reviews or worrisome critiques in the comments.
(Just leave the air horns out of it.)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)