May 27, 2012, 11:06 PM EDT
When people think of the 2012 Memorial Cup final between the Shawinigan Cataractes and the London Knights, two things will probably come to mind. One image is Anton Zlobin’s 2-1 overtime tournament-clinching goal; the other is the perpetual, interminable sound of a set of seemingly inexhaustible air horns.
Zlobin was the hero of the night, scoring both of Shawinigan’s goals while Ryan Rupert collected London’s only tally.
The U.S. version of the NHL Network carried the game, which was great for hockey fans who wanted a peek at prospects such as Brandon Gormley, Michael Houser, Jarred Tinordi, Vladislav Namestnikov, Austin Watson, Kirill Kabanov and so on.
Unfortunately, it also broadcasted that constant stream of crowd noise, providing many hockey fans with a far-from-fantastic first impression of Shawinigan, Quebec. (The empty, awful tone of those air horns has been cemented in my brain.) I cannot help but ask: what’s the allure of endlessly hammering away on one? The constant sound doesn’t indicate approval or take the place of a jeer; instead, it reminds one of a child who continuously asks “Why?” in a conversation.
Perhaps those questions are better left unanswered, but both teams deserve credit for their efforts. Did any players – highly touted, comparatively obscure or anywhere in between – stand out to you tonight? Share your rave reviews or worrisome critiques in the comments.
(Just leave the air horns out of it.)
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)