May 27, 2012, 11:06 PM EDT
When people think of the 2012 Memorial Cup final between the Shawinigan Cataractes and the London Knights, two things will probably come to mind. One image is Anton Zlobin’s 2-1 overtime tournament-clinching goal; the other is the perpetual, interminable sound of a set of seemingly inexhaustible air horns.
Zlobin was the hero of the night, scoring both of Shawinigan’s goals while Ryan Rupert collected London’s only tally.
The U.S. version of the NHL Network carried the game, which was great for hockey fans who wanted a peek at prospects such as Brandon Gormley, Michael Houser, Jarred Tinordi, Vladislav Namestnikov, Austin Watson, Kirill Kabanov and so on.
Unfortunately, it also broadcasted that constant stream of crowd noise, providing many hockey fans with a far-from-fantastic first impression of Shawinigan, Quebec. (The empty, awful tone of those air horns has been cemented in my brain.) I cannot help but ask: what’s the allure of endlessly hammering away on one? The constant sound doesn’t indicate approval or take the place of a jeer; instead, it reminds one of a child who continuously asks “Why?” in a conversation.
Perhaps those questions are better left unanswered, but both teams deserve credit for their efforts. Did any players – highly touted, comparatively obscure or anywhere in between – stand out to you tonight? Share your rave reviews or worrisome critiques in the comments.
(Just leave the air horns out of it.)
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 0
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 9
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21