May 27, 2012, 11:06 PM EDT
When people think of the 2012 Memorial Cup final between the Shawinigan Cataractes and the London Knights, two things will probably come to mind. One image is Anton Zlobin’s 2-1 overtime tournament-clinching goal; the other is the perpetual, interminable sound of a set of seemingly inexhaustible air horns.
Zlobin was the hero of the night, scoring both of Shawinigan’s goals while Ryan Rupert collected London’s only tally.
The U.S. version of the NHL Network carried the game, which was great for hockey fans who wanted a peek at prospects such as Brandon Gormley, Michael Houser, Jarred Tinordi, Vladislav Namestnikov, Austin Watson, Kirill Kabanov and so on.
Unfortunately, it also broadcasted that constant stream of crowd noise, providing many hockey fans with a far-from-fantastic first impression of Shawinigan, Quebec. (The empty, awful tone of those air horns has been cemented in my brain.) I cannot help but ask: what’s the allure of endlessly hammering away on one? The constant sound doesn’t indicate approval or take the place of a jeer; instead, it reminds one of a child who continuously asks “Why?” in a conversation.
Perhaps those questions are better left unanswered, but both teams deserve credit for their efforts. Did any players – highly touted, comparatively obscure or anywhere in between – stand out to you tonight? Share your rave reviews or worrisome critiques in the comments.
(Just leave the air horns out of it.)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)