May 27, 2012, 11:06 PM EST
When people think of the 2012 Memorial Cup final between the Shawinigan Cataractes and the London Knights, two things will probably come to mind. One image is Anton Zlobin’s 2-1 overtime tournament-clinching goal; the other is the perpetual, interminable sound of a set of seemingly inexhaustible air horns.
Zlobin was the hero of the night, scoring both of Shawinigan’s goals while Ryan Rupert collected London’s only tally.
The U.S. version of the NHL Network carried the game, which was great for hockey fans who wanted a peek at prospects such as Brandon Gormley, Michael Houser, Jarred Tinordi, Vladislav Namestnikov, Austin Watson, Kirill Kabanov and so on.
Unfortunately, it also broadcasted that constant stream of crowd noise, providing many hockey fans with a far-from-fantastic first impression of Shawinigan, Quebec. (The empty, awful tone of those air horns has been cemented in my brain.) I cannot help but ask: what’s the allure of endlessly hammering away on one? The constant sound doesn’t indicate approval or take the place of a jeer; instead, it reminds one of a child who continuously asks “Why?” in a conversation.
Perhaps those questions are better left unanswered, but both teams deserve credit for their efforts. Did any players – highly touted, comparatively obscure or anywhere in between – stand out to you tonight? Share your rave reviews or worrisome critiques in the comments.
(Just leave the air horns out of it.)
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 5
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 3
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 46
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 18
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (72)