May 27, 2012, 8:02 PM EDT
When hockey fans pictured the 2012 Stanley Cup finals, it might not be crazy to say that none – or maybe .001 percent – saw New Jersey Devils vs. Los Angeles Kings coming. If you’re not a Kings/Devils fan (or a fan of one of their biggest rivals), you might need a reason to root for one of those teams. Here are four reasons to cheer for each squad.
Reasons to root for the Devils
- Win it for Marty – Martin Brodeur certainly doesn’t “need” another Stanley Cup ring to solidify his legacy. Still, it would be quite the feat for him to add No. 4 to his already-staggering resume.
- Root for the suits - Peter DeBoer’s great work slips under the radar. Adam Oates is a potential future Hall of Famer who never got a ring during his playing days. Larry Robinson was the backbone of one of the best defense corps – and dynasties – in NHL history.
- Keeping Zach – Sure, fans of the sport as a whole would probably love to soak in a Zach Parise sweepstakes, but there’s something to be said for a guy sticking with one team for his entire career. New Jersey’s chances of keeping Parise have probably already climbed considerably in the postseason, yet winning the Cup would make it especially difficult to leave.
- Ilya’s moment - Ilya Kovalchuk probably won’t hear much about his lack of “clutchness” after this postseason; he currently leads all playoff scorers with 18 points. Still, actually raising the Cup would be a great counterpoint to a span that saw a lot of Russian players become scapegoats.
Reasons to root for the Kings
- First time for everything – While the Devils hope to refer to the Brodeur era as a dynasty, the Kings shoot for their first-ever Cup victory. This might be their best chance to win it all since they came into the NHL in 1967.
- Rewarding giggles - If you have a sense of humor, you have to love with the Kings’ PR staff has done during the playoffs. It almost makes you wonder what they’d do with the Cup in their grasp.
- Move over, Kobe – The Staples Center rafters are more or less dominated by the Los Angeles Lakers, much like the sports fans’ attention in the area. It’s unlikely that one Cup would dethrone Kobe Bryant & Co., but it would at least give the Kings a slice.
- Dean’s gamble - Chew on this: Kings GM Dean Lombardi’s job was on the line when he hired Darryl Sutter and traded for Jeff Carter. Those moves – and really, the entirety of his moves, even acquiring Dustin Penner – have paid off when he needed them to the most. It’s a strange case of patience turning into desperation yet with gambles paying off.
Still not sure who to root for? If you’re an American hockey fan, don’t sweat it; a U.S.-born captain will hoist the silver chalice regardless of which team wins. Considering the appealingly aggressive style of both teams, you might just want to root for a long series.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:41 AM EDT
Could the Vancouver forward be facing further discipline from the league?
Apr 1, 2015, 1:17 AM EDT
Tampa Bay is in a battle for the Atlantic Division.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:40 AM EDT
No call on that play.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
That’s big for Ottawa.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
This was an eventful game.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Could supplemental discipline be on the way?
Mar 31, 2015, 10:09 PM EDT
Florida had the lead in the third period.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT
Could Vancouver’s veteran defenseman be looking at a suspension?
Mar 31, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Scored 32 goals in 37 games this season.
Mar 31, 2015, 8:13 PM EDT
Mar 31, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
Joins Bossy, Gretzky, Dionne, Lafleur and Lemieux.
Mar 31, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
3rd-round pick if it happens after the season, 2nd-rounder if it happens in-season.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
University of Minnesota blueliner inching closer to free agency.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:41 PM EDT
So the Hart will not, as some have suggested, become the Gretzky.
Mar 31, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Blackhawks duo “had a good thing going.”
Mar 31, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
Not just a team that scores a lot of goals.
Mar 31, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT
Could really use a win tonight versus the Rangers.
Mar 31, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
“I can speak from experience that home ice matters.”
Mar 31, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 31, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT
Florida’s season is essentially on the line.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22