May 27, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
There are a lot of potential story lines in this year’s Stanley Cup finals, some of which we took a look at yesterday, but there’s one that’s got a history of success tied to it.
Kings forward Mike Richards and Devils coach Peter DeBoer have a championship link that dates back to when DeBoer was Richards’ coach in junior hockey. In 2004, DeBoer coached the Kitchener Rangers to the Memorial Cup with Richards as his top scoring forward.
Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider hears from Richards about what it was like playing for DeBoer and now having to beat him for hockey’s ultimate prize seven years after parting ways.
“It’s hard to believe it’s already been seven years (since his junior career ended). He’s getting old. I’m getting old, but he’s getting really old,” Richards says laughing.
“He had a big part in my career, getting me through the four years and teaching me a lot, and obviously won with it too, not only at the Memorial Cup but he was there in World Juniors as an assistant coach. It was a pretty unique situation, but I obviously hope that we have success.”
Teacher vs. pupil makes for a good story to follow. Hey it worked in Star Wars, right?
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 16
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 53
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 85
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (85)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control