May 27, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
There are a lot of potential story lines in this year’s Stanley Cup finals, some of which we took a look at yesterday, but there’s one that’s got a history of success tied to it.
Kings forward Mike Richards and Devils coach Peter DeBoer have a championship link that dates back to when DeBoer was Richards’ coach in junior hockey. In 2004, DeBoer coached the Kitchener Rangers to the Memorial Cup with Richards as his top scoring forward.
Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider hears from Richards about what it was like playing for DeBoer and now having to beat him for hockey’s ultimate prize seven years after parting ways.
“It’s hard to believe it’s already been seven years (since his junior career ended). He’s getting old. I’m getting old, but he’s getting really old,” Richards says laughing.
“He had a big part in my career, getting me through the four years and teaching me a lot, and obviously won with it too, not only at the Memorial Cup but he was there in World Juniors as an assistant coach. It was a pretty unique situation, but I obviously hope that we have success.”
Teacher vs. pupil makes for a good story to follow. Hey it worked in Star Wars, right?
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 26
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)