May 27, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
There are a lot of potential story lines in this year’s Stanley Cup finals, some of which we took a look at yesterday, but there’s one that’s got a history of success tied to it.
Kings forward Mike Richards and Devils coach Peter DeBoer have a championship link that dates back to when DeBoer was Richards’ coach in junior hockey. In 2004, DeBoer coached the Kitchener Rangers to the Memorial Cup with Richards as his top scoring forward.
Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider hears from Richards about what it was like playing for DeBoer and now having to beat him for hockey’s ultimate prize seven years after parting ways.
“It’s hard to believe it’s already been seven years (since his junior career ended). He’s getting old. I’m getting old, but he’s getting really old,” Richards says laughing.
“He had a big part in my career, getting me through the four years and teaching me a lot, and obviously won with it too, not only at the Memorial Cup but he was there in World Juniors as an assistant coach. It was a pretty unique situation, but I obviously hope that we have success.”
Teacher vs. pupil makes for a good story to follow. Hey it worked in Star Wars, right?
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 4
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)