May 27, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
There are a lot of potential story lines in this year’s Stanley Cup finals, some of which we took a look at yesterday, but there’s one that’s got a history of success tied to it.
Kings forward Mike Richards and Devils coach Peter DeBoer have a championship link that dates back to when DeBoer was Richards’ coach in junior hockey. In 2004, DeBoer coached the Kitchener Rangers to the Memorial Cup with Richards as his top scoring forward.
Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider hears from Richards about what it was like playing for DeBoer and now having to beat him for hockey’s ultimate prize seven years after parting ways.
“It’s hard to believe it’s already been seven years (since his junior career ended). He’s getting old. I’m getting old, but he’s getting really old,” Richards says laughing.
“He had a big part in my career, getting me through the four years and teaching me a lot, and obviously won with it too, not only at the Memorial Cup but he was there in World Juniors as an assistant coach. It was a pretty unique situation, but I obviously hope that we have success.”
Teacher vs. pupil makes for a good story to follow. Hey it worked in Star Wars, right?
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 17
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 13
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 4
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 25
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)