May 27, 2012, 11:15 AM EST
Getting to the Stanley Cup finals is something Devils GM Lou Lamoriello should be used to by now. His teams have been there four other times in his history with the team, winning the Cup three times.
Not having been to the finals since 2003, however, the Devils were left out of the loop for a bit and Lamoriello tells Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice he couldn’t be happier to be back.
“You’re back where you want to be,” Lamoriello said. “We’ve had teams that had success during the regular season, but just couldn’t get through the playoffs for some reason. Although the teams, in my opinion, were teams that had a chance, this team has been a special team because all the pieces that have gone in have fit and things have gone right. The coaches have done a great job. We’ve gotten what you need to have success, but once again it’s getting where you want to get. Right now, what we want to get accomplished is in front of us, not behind us.”
It’s been coach Peter DeBoer that’s helped put Lamoriello’s roster to great use in disposing of the Panthers, Flyers, and Rangers on the way to the finals and while Lamoriello never really strikes you as the cuddly type, it’s clear this year’s Devils squad makes him happy. With guys like Ilya Kovalchuk and Martin Brodeur coming up big continually, you can see why he’d be excited.
- Clarkson to have hearing for Sobotka headshot 0
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 68
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 86
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)