May 27, 2012, 9:15 PM EST
Every year, the playoffs provide small sample sizes that delight fans – particularly those who love surprises – and antagonize stat nerds. With between four and seven games to go in the 2012 Stanley Cup finals and some time off, this seems like a perfect time to take a look at the postseason stat leaders.
Most points: Ilya Kovalchuk (18 in 17 games played)
Kovalchuk also leads all postseason scorers with 11 assists. If the New Jersey Devils win the Stanley Cup, he might just get his name on the Conn Smythe Trophy, which would really make a lot of people look silly for questioning his “clutchness.”
Despite missing a full round and only playing in 11 games max – Giroux actually missed one because of that suspension – the two Flyers’ forwards still are tied for the playoff Richard Trophy (so to speak). Giroux also only has one fewer point (17) than Kovalchuk. Those Philly forwards should be usurped soon enough, however, as Kovalchuk, Dustin Brown, Zach Parise and Travis Zajac are all tied for second with seven goals each.
Plus/minus: Dustin Brown and Anze Kopitar (+13)
I’m not a huge fan of the plus/minus stat, but if nothing else, it’s another example of how dominant a one-two punch the Kings’ top forwards have been so far. Brown had a +18 all season long while Kopitar was at a +12 so they tend to win matchups anyway, but not to this extent.
Most points for a defenseman: Dan Girardi (12 points)
Bryce Salvador leads active blueliners with 11 points while Drew Doughty tops the Kings’ side with 10. Salvador got to that point in 18 games while Doughty only needed 14 to score 10 points. My money’s on Doughty finishing with the most points among playoff defensemen.
Most penalty minutes: Zac Rinaldo (48 PIM)
The Kings and Devils aren’t likely to fill the penalty minutes category. Dustin Penner leads active players with 26 PIM while Dustin Brown is right behind him with 24. David Clarkson has 20 to top the Devils. It will likely take the two teams a while to generate sincere hatred, too.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 5
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 71
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)