May 26, 2012, 11:18 AM EDT
Without a doubt, you’ve already seen Zach Parise treat the Prince of Wales trophy as if it was covered with the Plague and not lay his hands upon it. If you’re wondering why Parise decided to have the team gather around it rather than pick it up and ride it around the rink like a pony, the blame doesn’t fall on the captain’s shoulders.
Tom Gulitti hears from Parise what his thought process was on not picking up the trophy and finds out it was more of a quick poll than a long thought out process as to what to do with it.
“I didn’t want to talk about it. I didn’t want to ask anyone about it before the game,” Parise said. “You don’t want to get too far ahead of yourself. I tried to do a quick survey after we won the game, between that and the time that they presented the trophy, asked a couple of guys around. Some guys said, ‘Do what you want’. Some guys said, ‘No’. I felt the majority said, ‘No, don’t touch it.’ So, I figured not touch it. Let’s just get a picture around it. I mean, I wanted to touch it, but the majority said, ‘No.’ So that’s fine with me.”
The captain sacrificing for the needs of the rest of the team. That’s very hockey-like of Parise to do that. Of course, both teams in the finals avoided touching their conference title trophies so someone will be left wondering “what if” when it comes to their choices… If they’re into that whole superstition thing anyhow.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 1
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 11
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)