May 26, 2012, 11:18 AM EDT
Without a doubt, you’ve already seen Zach Parise treat the Prince of Wales trophy as if it was covered with the Plague and not lay his hands upon it. If you’re wondering why Parise decided to have the team gather around it rather than pick it up and ride it around the rink like a pony, the blame doesn’t fall on the captain’s shoulders.
Tom Gulitti hears from Parise what his thought process was on not picking up the trophy and finds out it was more of a quick poll than a long thought out process as to what to do with it.
“I didn’t want to talk about it. I didn’t want to ask anyone about it before the game,” Parise said. “You don’t want to get too far ahead of yourself. I tried to do a quick survey after we won the game, between that and the time that they presented the trophy, asked a couple of guys around. Some guys said, ‘Do what you want’. Some guys said, ‘No’. I felt the majority said, ‘No, don’t touch it.’ So, I figured not touch it. Let’s just get a picture around it. I mean, I wanted to touch it, but the majority said, ‘No.’ So that’s fine with me.”
The captain sacrificing for the needs of the rest of the team. That’s very hockey-like of Parise to do that. Of course, both teams in the finals avoided touching their conference title trophies so someone will be left wondering “what if” when it comes to their choices… If they’re into that whole superstition thing anyhow.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 3
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 13
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)