May 26, 2012, 11:18 AM EDT
Without a doubt, you’ve already seen Zach Parise treat the Prince of Wales trophy as if it was covered with the Plague and not lay his hands upon it. If you’re wondering why Parise decided to have the team gather around it rather than pick it up and ride it around the rink like a pony, the blame doesn’t fall on the captain’s shoulders.
Tom Gulitti hears from Parise what his thought process was on not picking up the trophy and finds out it was more of a quick poll than a long thought out process as to what to do with it.
“I didn’t want to talk about it. I didn’t want to ask anyone about it before the game,” Parise said. “You don’t want to get too far ahead of yourself. I tried to do a quick survey after we won the game, between that and the time that they presented the trophy, asked a couple of guys around. Some guys said, ‘Do what you want’. Some guys said, ‘No’. I felt the majority said, ‘No, don’t touch it.’ So, I figured not touch it. Let’s just get a picture around it. I mean, I wanted to touch it, but the majority said, ‘No.’ So that’s fine with me.”
The captain sacrificing for the needs of the rest of the team. That’s very hockey-like of Parise to do that. Of course, both teams in the finals avoided touching their conference title trophies so someone will be left wondering “what if” when it comes to their choices… If they’re into that whole superstition thing anyhow.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)