May 26, 2012, 11:18 AM EST
Without a doubt, you’ve already seen Zach Parise treat the Prince of Wales trophy as if it was covered with the Plague and not lay his hands upon it. If you’re wondering why Parise decided to have the team gather around it rather than pick it up and ride it around the rink like a pony, the blame doesn’t fall on the captain’s shoulders.
Tom Gulitti hears from Parise what his thought process was on not picking up the trophy and finds out it was more of a quick poll than a long thought out process as to what to do with it.
“I didn’t want to talk about it. I didn’t want to ask anyone about it before the game,” Parise said. “You don’t want to get too far ahead of yourself. I tried to do a quick survey after we won the game, between that and the time that they presented the trophy, asked a couple of guys around. Some guys said, ‘Do what you want’. Some guys said, ‘No’. I felt the majority said, ‘No, don’t touch it.’ So, I figured not touch it. Let’s just get a picture around it. I mean, I wanted to touch it, but the majority said, ‘No.’ So that’s fine with me.”
The captain sacrificing for the needs of the rest of the team. That’s very hockey-like of Parise to do that. Of course, both teams in the finals avoided touching their conference title trophies so someone will be left wondering “what if” when it comes to their choices… If they’re into that whole superstition thing anyhow.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Flames place Giordano on IR 0
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 25
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 59
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (94)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)