May 26, 2012, 11:18 AM EDT
Without a doubt, you’ve already seen Zach Parise treat the Prince of Wales trophy as if it was covered with the Plague and not lay his hands upon it. If you’re wondering why Parise decided to have the team gather around it rather than pick it up and ride it around the rink like a pony, the blame doesn’t fall on the captain’s shoulders.
Tom Gulitti hears from Parise what his thought process was on not picking up the trophy and finds out it was more of a quick poll than a long thought out process as to what to do with it.
“I didn’t want to talk about it. I didn’t want to ask anyone about it before the game,” Parise said. “You don’t want to get too far ahead of yourself. I tried to do a quick survey after we won the game, between that and the time that they presented the trophy, asked a couple of guys around. Some guys said, ‘Do what you want’. Some guys said, ‘No’. I felt the majority said, ‘No, don’t touch it.’ So, I figured not touch it. Let’s just get a picture around it. I mean, I wanted to touch it, but the majority said, ‘No.’ So that’s fine with me.”
The captain sacrificing for the needs of the rest of the team. That’s very hockey-like of Parise to do that. Of course, both teams in the finals avoided touching their conference title trophies so someone will be left wondering “what if” when it comes to their choices… If they’re into that whole superstition thing anyhow.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 67
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 32
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona