May 26, 2012, 2:02 PM EDT
We know the Rangers and their fans are bumming out hard today after seeing their team eliminated in the Eastern Conference finals by their rival Devils, but there is good reason to stay positive. It’s all about the future.
Chris Kreider made headlines coming right out of college at all of 20-years-old. Derek Stepan and Michael Del Zotto are both 21. Ryan McDonagh is 22. Artem Anisimov and Carl Hagelin are both 23. That’s a lot of future star potential getting their first big taste of the NHL playoffs and what it takes to win.
Coach John Tortorella tells reporters last night he’s really proud of them but knows there is more work to be done.
“We’re still a young club. We still have quite a bit to learn as far as the desperation, when you get to this third round. I just don’t want us to — and you hear it so much, and I won’t accept it. You know, you won a couple of rounds. You got into the third round. That isn’t good enough. We still have to find a way to win another round and get there.”
Luckily for Tortorella and the young Rangers, losing can help spur some players and teams on to greater things. For now, these growing pains hurt but it could mold the Rangers into having an even brighter future.
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 6
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 2
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 54
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)