May 26, 2012, 2:02 PM EST
We know the Rangers and their fans are bumming out hard today after seeing their team eliminated in the Eastern Conference finals by their rival Devils, but there is good reason to stay positive. It’s all about the future.
Chris Kreider made headlines coming right out of college at all of 20-years-old. Derek Stepan and Michael Del Zotto are both 21. Ryan McDonagh is 22. Artem Anisimov and Carl Hagelin are both 23. That’s a lot of future star potential getting their first big taste of the NHL playoffs and what it takes to win.
Coach John Tortorella tells reporters last night he’s really proud of them but knows there is more work to be done.
“We’re still a young club. We still have quite a bit to learn as far as the desperation, when you get to this third round. I just don’t want us to — and you hear it so much, and I won’t accept it. You know, you won a couple of rounds. You got into the third round. That isn’t good enough. We still have to find a way to win another round and get there.”
Luckily for Tortorella and the young Rangers, losing can help spur some players and teams on to greater things. For now, these growing pains hurt but it could mold the Rangers into having an even brighter future.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 23
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 21
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (133)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)