May 26, 2012, 2:02 PM EDT
We know the Rangers and their fans are bumming out hard today after seeing their team eliminated in the Eastern Conference finals by their rival Devils, but there is good reason to stay positive. It’s all about the future.
Chris Kreider made headlines coming right out of college at all of 20-years-old. Derek Stepan and Michael Del Zotto are both 21. Ryan McDonagh is 22. Artem Anisimov and Carl Hagelin are both 23. That’s a lot of future star potential getting their first big taste of the NHL playoffs and what it takes to win.
Coach John Tortorella tells reporters last night he’s really proud of them but knows there is more work to be done.
“We’re still a young club. We still have quite a bit to learn as far as the desperation, when you get to this third round. I just don’t want us to — and you hear it so much, and I won’t accept it. You know, you won a couple of rounds. You got into the third round. That isn’t good enough. We still have to find a way to win another round and get there.”
Luckily for Tortorella and the young Rangers, losing can help spur some players and teams on to greater things. For now, these growing pains hurt but it could mold the Rangers into having an even brighter future.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 6
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 21
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 22
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)