May 26, 2012, 12:04 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks aren’t exactly on the tip of anyone’s tongues right now, but they made a small move in hopes of playing deep into May in 2013. RDS reports that the Blackhawks will bring back veteran grinder Jamal Mayers for a one-year deal worth $600K, which includes a $50K signing bonus.
Mayers played in 81 games in 2011-12, collecting 15 points, a -4 rating and 91 PIM. He was unable to register a single point in three postseason contests, though.
He’ll turn 38 in the first month of the 2012-13 season unless a lockout fouls up that plan. Mayers has been bouncing around the league a bit, as he spent two seasons with the Toronto Maple Leafs (2008-10) and one season apiece with the Calgary Flames (2009-10) and San Jose Sharks (2010-11).
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)