May 26, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
When the Devils hired Peter DeBoer to be their new coach last summer, some wondered what Lou Lamoriello was thinking bringing aboard a guy who didn’t exactly do great with the Florida Panthers for three seasons.
Fast-forward to now and Lamoriello looks like the smartest guy in the room all over again as DeBoer has the Devils in the Stanley Cup finals. DeBoer tells Dan Rosen of NHL.com the team buying into his system despite not having been a former player helped make things easier for him.
“You get the job because of a belief system. I think that’s what Lou saw,” DeBoer said. “And, I think when you believe in how the game should be played and you have the conviction in that, I think it sells itself. I don’t think there was any premeditated salesmanship. I just think it’s the fact that you believe how the game should be played. You have a conviction in that, and I think that the players see that and they bought in.”
How the Devils have played has helped kill the idea they’re the boring trap-it-up team they used to be in the 90s and early 00s. Instead it’s been pressure forechecking and strong offense out of Ilya Kovalchuk, Zach Parise, and others that helped make the difference. That’s no mistake as DeBoer has stressed that aspect to the team and they’re all bought in now.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 31
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 52
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 25
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 24
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (77)