May 26, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
When the Devils hired Peter DeBoer to be their new coach last summer, some wondered what Lou Lamoriello was thinking bringing aboard a guy who didn’t exactly do great with the Florida Panthers for three seasons.
Fast-forward to now and Lamoriello looks like the smartest guy in the room all over again as DeBoer has the Devils in the Stanley Cup finals. DeBoer tells Dan Rosen of NHL.com the team buying into his system despite not having been a former player helped make things easier for him.
“You get the job because of a belief system. I think that’s what Lou saw,” DeBoer said. “And, I think when you believe in how the game should be played and you have the conviction in that, I think it sells itself. I don’t think there was any premeditated salesmanship. I just think it’s the fact that you believe how the game should be played. You have a conviction in that, and I think that the players see that and they bought in.”
How the Devils have played has helped kill the idea they’re the boring trap-it-up team they used to be in the 90s and early 00s. Instead it’s been pressure forechecking and strong offense out of Ilya Kovalchuk, Zach Parise, and others that helped make the difference. That’s no mistake as DeBoer has stressed that aspect to the team and they’re all bought in now.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 0
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 7
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 25
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 63
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control