May 26, 2012, 10:33 PM EST
Zach Parise‘s tenure as team captain has already been a successful one. The New Jersey Devils have reached the Stanley Cup finals thanks to his on and off the ice contributions.
One of his more obscure off-ice accomplishments was helping convince Devils GM Lou Lamoriello to soften the team’s practice of having their players spend the night in a hotel even before home games during the postseason. This time around, players have been able to sleep in their own beds when possible.
“Times have changed,” Lamoriello said. “We didn’t have them stay every night in a hotel the last time in the playoffs. Maybe it was the right thing at the right time and it could be something you go back to. But it was the right thing at the right time. Yes, the players have a lot to do with it and also how their minds are and how they feel. We were going to Florida. At first, we were going to be down there on the road in a hotel for five nights, so when we come back did we want to go back in a hotel? So, there are different reasons that you go to certain things, but the input of the players was very important. Zach’s input, the captain’s input was very important.”
It’s not one of Parise’s biggest accomplishments, but a little extra familiarity during the most intense time of the year might not be a bad thing.
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 2
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 1
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)