May 26, 2012, 10:33 PM EDT
Zach Parise‘s tenure as team captain has already been a successful one. The New Jersey Devils have reached the Stanley Cup finals thanks to his on and off the ice contributions.
One of his more obscure off-ice accomplishments was helping convince Devils GM Lou Lamoriello to soften the team’s practice of having their players spend the night in a hotel even before home games during the postseason. This time around, players have been able to sleep in their own beds when possible.
“Times have changed,” Lamoriello said. “We didn’t have them stay every night in a hotel the last time in the playoffs. Maybe it was the right thing at the right time and it could be something you go back to. But it was the right thing at the right time. Yes, the players have a lot to do with it and also how their minds are and how they feel. We were going to Florida. At first, we were going to be down there on the road in a hotel for five nights, so when we come back did we want to go back in a hotel? So, there are different reasons that you go to certain things, but the input of the players was very important. Zach’s input, the captain’s input was very important.”
It’s not one of Parise’s biggest accomplishments, but a little extra familiarity during the most intense time of the year might not be a bad thing.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)