May 26, 2012, 10:33 PM EDT
Zach Parise‘s tenure as team captain has already been a successful one. The New Jersey Devils have reached the Stanley Cup finals thanks to his on and off the ice contributions.
One of his more obscure off-ice accomplishments was helping convince Devils GM Lou Lamoriello to soften the team’s practice of having their players spend the night in a hotel even before home games during the postseason. This time around, players have been able to sleep in their own beds when possible.
“Times have changed,” Lamoriello said. “We didn’t have them stay every night in a hotel the last time in the playoffs. Maybe it was the right thing at the right time and it could be something you go back to. But it was the right thing at the right time. Yes, the players have a lot to do with it and also how their minds are and how they feel. We were going to Florida. At first, we were going to be down there on the road in a hotel for five nights, so when we come back did we want to go back in a hotel? So, there are different reasons that you go to certain things, but the input of the players was very important. Zach’s input, the captain’s input was very important.”
It’s not one of Parise’s biggest accomplishments, but a little extra familiarity during the most intense time of the year might not be a bad thing.
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)