May 26, 2012, 10:33 PM EDT
Zach Parise‘s tenure as team captain has already been a successful one. The New Jersey Devils have reached the Stanley Cup finals thanks to his on and off the ice contributions.
One of his more obscure off-ice accomplishments was helping convince Devils GM Lou Lamoriello to soften the team’s practice of having their players spend the night in a hotel even before home games during the postseason. This time around, players have been able to sleep in their own beds when possible.
“Times have changed,” Lamoriello said. “We didn’t have them stay every night in a hotel the last time in the playoffs. Maybe it was the right thing at the right time and it could be something you go back to. But it was the right thing at the right time. Yes, the players have a lot to do with it and also how their minds are and how they feel. We were going to Florida. At first, we were going to be down there on the road in a hotel for five nights, so when we come back did we want to go back in a hotel? So, there are different reasons that you go to certain things, but the input of the players was very important. Zach’s input, the captain’s input was very important.”
It’s not one of Parise’s biggest accomplishments, but a little extra familiarity during the most intense time of the year might not be a bad thing.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)