May 26, 2012, 11:58 AM EST
This season, the Devils are 2-0-0 against the Kings and while that might look like a solid small sample size, looking closer at their previous games tells us that history means nothing between these two.
Their first game came October 13, the third game of the year for both teams. For the Kings, it was their first game in North America after starting the season in Europe. The Devils won 2-1 in a shootout but Martin Brodeur played just one period after hurting his shoulder. Scoring for L.A. in that game? Simon Gagne. We won’t be seeing him in the finals despite him being symptom free from a concussion this season.
They would meet again two weeks later in Los Angeles with the Devils winning 3-0 thanks to a Johan Hedberg shutout. Dainius Zubrus scored twice with Patrik Elias netting the other goal on… Kings backup goalie Jonathan Bernier. Terry Murray was coach of the Kings at the time and he did so well he was fired midway through the season.
To sum it up: Two Devils wins that saw one come in the skills competition, both teams starting goalies combining to play 85 minutes (Brodeur 20, Quick 65), and one team that’s no longer playing like inconsistent, non-scoring crap. Let’s just go into these finals knowing that we know nothing at all about how they’ll match up on the ice.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 6
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)