May 26, 2012, 11:58 AM EDT
This season, the Devils are 2-0-0 against the Kings and while that might look like a solid small sample size, looking closer at their previous games tells us that history means nothing between these two.
Their first game came October 13, the third game of the year for both teams. For the Kings, it was their first game in North America after starting the season in Europe. The Devils won 2-1 in a shootout but Martin Brodeur played just one period after hurting his shoulder. Scoring for L.A. in that game? Simon Gagne. We won’t be seeing him in the finals despite him being symptom free from a concussion this season.
They would meet again two weeks later in Los Angeles with the Devils winning 3-0 thanks to a Johan Hedberg shutout. Dainius Zubrus scored twice with Patrik Elias netting the other goal on… Kings backup goalie Jonathan Bernier. Terry Murray was coach of the Kings at the time and he did so well he was fired midway through the season.
To sum it up: Two Devils wins that saw one come in the skills competition, both teams starting goalies combining to play 85 minutes (Brodeur 20, Quick 65), and one team that’s no longer playing like inconsistent, non-scoring crap. Let’s just go into these finals knowing that we know nothing at all about how they’ll match up on the ice.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)