May 26, 2012, 3:22 PM EST
The Rangers-Devils Eastern Conference finals didn’t have a lack of drama nor silliness, that’s for sure. From seeing Peter DeBoer and John Tortorella sniping back and forth to Mike Rupp smacking Martin Brodeur and Steve Bernier there was enough action not having to do with pucks to keep everyone fired up.
One guy who’s happy the series is over is Devils GM Lou Lamoriello. Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger catches up with Lamoriello after the Devils eliminated the Rangers in Game 6 last night to see he’s happy the histrionics with the Rangers are at an end for the rest of the season.
“The series had an added sort of a—I don’t want to say sideshow— a side attraction because of the rivalry,” Lamoriello told The Star-Ledger today. “It was because of the close proximity. History kept being brought up that many of the players had never been involved with and yet it became a topic to which they had to respond.
“To have the end result we did, I have a tremendous amount a respect for our players and our coaching staff the way they handled it.”
The only guy who really had a handle on the history was Brodeur who actually played in the 1994 Eastern finals. Aside from him, most guys weren’t even a part of all that. Now with the Rangers off to the golf course for the summer, the Devils will hope to keep the nonsense to a minimum against Los Angeles. With former Flyers Mike Richards and Jeff Carter as well as Dustin Brown being a lightning rod for controversy, the Rangers may have been just a warm up act for the big show.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 35
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 55
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (55)