May 26, 2012, 3:22 PM EDT
The Rangers-Devils Eastern Conference finals didn’t have a lack of drama nor silliness, that’s for sure. From seeing Peter DeBoer and John Tortorella sniping back and forth to Mike Rupp smacking Martin Brodeur and Steve Bernier there was enough action not having to do with pucks to keep everyone fired up.
One guy who’s happy the series is over is Devils GM Lou Lamoriello. Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger catches up with Lamoriello after the Devils eliminated the Rangers in Game 6 last night to see he’s happy the histrionics with the Rangers are at an end for the rest of the season.
“The series had an added sort of a—I don’t want to say sideshow— a side attraction because of the rivalry,” Lamoriello told The Star-Ledger today. “It was because of the close proximity. History kept being brought up that many of the players had never been involved with and yet it became a topic to which they had to respond.
“To have the end result we did, I have a tremendous amount a respect for our players and our coaching staff the way they handled it.”
The only guy who really had a handle on the history was Brodeur who actually played in the 1994 Eastern finals. Aside from him, most guys weren’t even a part of all that. Now with the Rangers off to the golf course for the summer, the Devils will hope to keep the nonsense to a minimum against Los Angeles. With former Flyers Mike Richards and Jeff Carter as well as Dustin Brown being a lightning rod for controversy, the Rangers may have been just a warm up act for the big show.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)