May 26, 2012, 9:02 PM EDT
This is the first time in the history of the NHL that a sixth seed team has faced an eighth seed squad in the Stanley Cup finals.
Regardless of who wins in the finals – be it the New Jersey Devils or Los Angeles Kings – they will be the lowest seed team to ever raise the Stanley Cup. The current and soon to be dethroned holder of that distinction is the 1995 New Jersey Devils. They won it all after capturing the fifth seed.
From now on any GM or owner that says that anything can happen in the playoffs will be referencing the 2012 Kings and Devils, but of course, these aren’t your typical low seed teams.
The Devils played in the incredibly rough Atlantic Division and were ultimately just seven points behind the top seed New York Rangers. Looking past their record, this is a team that features a ton of star talent, including Ilya Kovalchuk, Zach Parise, and Patrik Elias, and, of course, future Hall of Fame goaltender Martin Brodeur. On top of that they also have plenty of depth and a lot of key guys with playoff experience that they can lean on. Brodeur in particular is going for his fourth Stanley Cup.
The Los Angeles Kings snuck into the playoffs, but they always had a great team on paper. Like the Devils, they are led by a big name cast including Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown, Mike Richards, Drew Doughty, Jonathan Quick, and their big mid-season acquisition, Jeff Carter. However, it wasn’t until Darryl Sutter took over as their coach that they really started to click and as a result, their regular season record left something to be desired.
The Kings and Devils aren’t mediocre teams that managed to squeak into the playoffs and simply get lucky. These teams are evidence that, if you already have the framework of a great squad, you can accomplish tremendous things despite a low seed.
Sep 29, 2014, 11:18 PM EDT
Cory Conacher is probably up next.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
He’s running out of opportunities to get into an exhibition contest.
Sep 29, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
The timing is interesting.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
This is a critical season for him.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
He won’t return to Monday’s game.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:54 PM EDT
This has been a rough preseason for Columbus.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Will he be able to build off of his 2013-14 campaign though?
Sep 29, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT
This is certainly the time to do that.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
Has two goals in the preseason.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Next up: Brenden Dillon.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
If you were a member of the Dallas Stars at the turn of the century, you could get a job next!
Sep 29, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Prospects Nic Kerdiles and Stefan Noesen headed to AHL Norfolk.
Sep 29, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Bo Horvat may have the inside track over Hunter Shinkaruk and Nicklas Jensen to make Vancouver’s opening-day roster.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Veteran blueliner suffered a separated shoulder during the preseason.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Leafs forward injured once again.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Pair of once-touted prospects now up for grabs.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli addressed the media today in Boston.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
After re-upping with Brad Stuart earlier.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
But, “If it is, it is.”
Sep 29, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Both have over 100 games of NHL experience.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)