May 26, 2012, 6:57 PM EDT
While we don’t know who will win the Stanley Cup, we do know one thing: The first guy to lift the Cup is going to be an American.
What you may not also know is that it’ll mark only the second time an American captained a team to the title. New Jersey is led by Zach Parise (Minneapolis, MN) while L.A. has Dustin Brown (Ithaca, NY) wearing the “C” for them.
Derian Hatcher (Sterling Heights, MI) was the first and last American to pull off the feat in 1999 with the Dallas Stars when they beat Buffalo. While fans in Buffalo are busy still cursing out Brett Hull for that, perhaps they’ll be rooting on New York’s own Brown to lift the Cup. “I know Ithaca isn’t near Buffalo,” says the guy writing this from near Albany.
Wild fans might be eager to see one of Minnesota’s own win it all, but they’re conflicted knowing a Cup win for New Jersey might all but lock up Parise staying with the Devils rather than becoming a free agent. Wild fans sure are interested in Parise if he becomes available.
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 1
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 20
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 58
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (90)