May 26, 2012, 6:57 PM EDT
While we don’t know who will win the Stanley Cup, we do know one thing: The first guy to lift the Cup is going to be an American.
What you may not also know is that it’ll mark only the second time an American captained a team to the title. New Jersey is led by Zach Parise (Minneapolis, MN) while L.A. has Dustin Brown (Ithaca, NY) wearing the “C” for them.
Derian Hatcher (Sterling Heights, MI) was the first and last American to pull off the feat in 1999 with the Dallas Stars when they beat Buffalo. While fans in Buffalo are busy still cursing out Brett Hull for that, perhaps they’ll be rooting on New York’s own Brown to lift the Cup. “I know Ithaca isn’t near Buffalo,” says the guy writing this from near Albany.
Wild fans might be eager to see one of Minnesota’s own win it all, but they’re conflicted knowing a Cup win for New Jersey might all but lock up Parise staying with the Devils rather than becoming a free agent. Wild fans sure are interested in Parise if he becomes available.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)