May 26, 2012, 6:57 PM EDT
While we don’t know who will win the Stanley Cup, we do know one thing: The first guy to lift the Cup is going to be an American.
What you may not also know is that it’ll mark only the second time an American captained a team to the title. New Jersey is led by Zach Parise (Minneapolis, MN) while L.A. has Dustin Brown (Ithaca, NY) wearing the “C” for them.
Derian Hatcher (Sterling Heights, MI) was the first and last American to pull off the feat in 1999 with the Dallas Stars when they beat Buffalo. While fans in Buffalo are busy still cursing out Brett Hull for that, perhaps they’ll be rooting on New York’s own Brown to lift the Cup. “I know Ithaca isn’t near Buffalo,” says the guy writing this from near Albany.
Wild fans might be eager to see one of Minnesota’s own win it all, but they’re conflicted knowing a Cup win for New Jersey might all but lock up Parise staying with the Devils rather than becoming a free agent. Wild fans sure are interested in Parise if he becomes available.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)