May 26, 2012, 6:57 PM EDT
While we don’t know who will win the Stanley Cup, we do know one thing: The first guy to lift the Cup is going to be an American.
What you may not also know is that it’ll mark only the second time an American captained a team to the title. New Jersey is led by Zach Parise (Minneapolis, MN) while L.A. has Dustin Brown (Ithaca, NY) wearing the “C” for them.
Derian Hatcher (Sterling Heights, MI) was the first and last American to pull off the feat in 1999 with the Dallas Stars when they beat Buffalo. While fans in Buffalo are busy still cursing out Brett Hull for that, perhaps they’ll be rooting on New York’s own Brown to lift the Cup. “I know Ithaca isn’t near Buffalo,” says the guy writing this from near Albany.
Wild fans might be eager to see one of Minnesota’s own win it all, but they’re conflicted knowing a Cup win for New Jersey might all but lock up Parise staying with the Devils rather than becoming a free agent. Wild fans sure are interested in Parise if he becomes available.
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 6
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 2
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 54
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)