May 26, 2012, 12:42 AM EDT
When in engaged in a smack talking session, a typical New Jersey Devils fan could point to Martin Brodeur‘s run of three Stanley Cups while a New York Rangers devotee might lean on a guarantee. That retort lost a little steam tonight, though, as the Devils avenged 1994 by winning the other conference finals series between the two teams.
Just ask Brodeur.
“When you’re a kid, you’re dreaming to have a chance to win the Stanley Cup. So for us, winning today, gives us the opportunity to compete for it. And along the way, we beat a big rival that, especially for me, 18 years [later], everybody’s been talking about it.
So now it’s at least — I don’t know if they’re going to give us credit, but it’s 1-1.”
In other words, Rangers fans are going to have to dig a little deeper for material. (My advice: start with Bon Jovi’s catalog.)
Oh yeah, and speaking of running tallies, Brodeur discusses making his fifth appearance in the Stanley Cup finals in the video below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 11
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 28
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 17
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 57
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39