May 26, 2012, 12:42 AM EST
When in engaged in a smack talking session, a typical New Jersey Devils fan could point to Martin Brodeur‘s run of three Stanley Cups while a New York Rangers devotee might lean on a guarantee. That retort lost a little steam tonight, though, as the Devils avenged 1994 by winning the other conference finals series between the two teams.
Just ask Brodeur.
“When you’re a kid, you’re dreaming to have a chance to win the Stanley Cup. So for us, winning today, gives us the opportunity to compete for it. And along the way, we beat a big rival that, especially for me, 18 years [later], everybody’s been talking about it.
So now it’s at least — I don’t know if they’re going to give us credit, but it’s 1-1.”
In other words, Rangers fans are going to have to dig a little deeper for material. (My advice: start with Bon Jovi’s catalog.)
Oh yeah, and speaking of running tallies, Brodeur discusses making his fifth appearance in the Stanley Cup finals in the video below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 7
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)