May 26, 2012, 12:42 AM EDT
When in engaged in a smack talking session, a typical New Jersey Devils fan could point to Martin Brodeur‘s run of three Stanley Cups while a New York Rangers devotee might lean on a guarantee. That retort lost a little steam tonight, though, as the Devils avenged 1994 by winning the other conference finals series between the two teams.
Just ask Brodeur.
“When you’re a kid, you’re dreaming to have a chance to win the Stanley Cup. So for us, winning today, gives us the opportunity to compete for it. And along the way, we beat a big rival that, especially for me, 18 years [later], everybody’s been talking about it.
So now it’s at least — I don’t know if they’re going to give us credit, but it’s 1-1.”
In other words, Rangers fans are going to have to dig a little deeper for material. (My advice: start with Bon Jovi’s catalog.)
Oh yeah, and speaking of running tallies, Brodeur discusses making his fifth appearance in the Stanley Cup finals in the video below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)