May 26, 2012, 12:42 AM EST
When in engaged in a smack talking session, a typical New Jersey Devils fan could point to Martin Brodeur‘s run of three Stanley Cups while a New York Rangers devotee might lean on a guarantee. That retort lost a little steam tonight, though, as the Devils avenged 1994 by winning the other conference finals series between the two teams.
Just ask Brodeur.
“When you’re a kid, you’re dreaming to have a chance to win the Stanley Cup. So for us, winning today, gives us the opportunity to compete for it. And along the way, we beat a big rival that, especially for me, 18 years [later], everybody’s been talking about it.
So now it’s at least — I don’t know if they’re going to give us credit, but it’s 1-1.”
In other words, Rangers fans are going to have to dig a little deeper for material. (My advice: start with Bon Jovi’s catalog.)
Oh yeah, and speaking of running tallies, Brodeur discusses making his fifth appearance in the Stanley Cup finals in the video below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)