May 26, 2012, 12:42 AM EDT
When in engaged in a smack talking session, a typical New Jersey Devils fan could point to Martin Brodeur‘s run of three Stanley Cups while a New York Rangers devotee might lean on a guarantee. That retort lost a little steam tonight, though, as the Devils avenged 1994 by winning the other conference finals series between the two teams.
Just ask Brodeur.
“When you’re a kid, you’re dreaming to have a chance to win the Stanley Cup. So for us, winning today, gives us the opportunity to compete for it. And along the way, we beat a big rival that, especially for me, 18 years [later], everybody’s been talking about it.
So now it’s at least — I don’t know if they’re going to give us credit, but it’s 1-1.”
In other words, Rangers fans are going to have to dig a little deeper for material. (My advice: start with Bon Jovi’s catalog.)
Oh yeah, and speaking of running tallies, Brodeur discusses making his fifth appearance in the Stanley Cup finals in the video below.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 5
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 14
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)