May 25, 2012, 1:36 PM EST
Lightning GM Steve Yzerman has clarified the comments he made yesterday that seemed to indicate he was only willing to explore the draft and free agency to fill his team’s goaltending vacancy.
Yzerman told the Tampa Bay Times that he’s also willing to go the trade route if he can find a “younger guy that maybe has a little less experience that can step up and play well for us now.”
Of course, given Luongo’s reportedly asked for a trade, it doesn’t appear a deal with Vancouver is on the horizon.
So who else could Yzerman pursue?
L.A.’s Jonathan Bernier is one option. The 23-year-old has a limited and not particularly convincing NHL résumé (just 42 starts with a .909 save percentage), but he’s still considered a blue-chipper.
The Senators have two youngsters in Ben Bishop and Robin Lehner.
Nashville has Anders Lindback.
And just because we enjoy baseless speculation, what if Yzerman were to call the Panthers about Jacob Markstrom, then Luongo could go to Florida? It’s farfetched for any number of reasons, but you should still spread the rumor via Twitter and internet message boards.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)