May 25, 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
Lightning GM Steve Yzerman has clarified the comments he made yesterday that seemed to indicate he was only willing to explore the draft and free agency to fill his team’s goaltending vacancy.
Yzerman told the Tampa Bay Times that he’s also willing to go the trade route if he can find a “younger guy that maybe has a little less experience that can step up and play well for us now.”
Of course, given Luongo’s reportedly asked for a trade, it doesn’t appear a deal with Vancouver is on the horizon.
So who else could Yzerman pursue?
L.A.’s Jonathan Bernier is one option. The 23-year-old has a limited and not particularly convincing NHL résumé (just 42 starts with a .909 save percentage), but he’s still considered a blue-chipper.
The Senators have two youngsters in Ben Bishop and Robin Lehner.
Nashville has Anders Lindback.
And just because we enjoy baseless speculation, what if Yzerman were to call the Panthers about Jacob Markstrom, then Luongo could go to Florida? It’s farfetched for any number of reasons, but you should still spread the rumor via Twitter and internet message boards.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)