May 25, 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
Lightning GM Steve Yzerman has clarified the comments he made yesterday that seemed to indicate he was only willing to explore the draft and free agency to fill his team’s goaltending vacancy.
Yzerman told the Tampa Bay Times that he’s also willing to go the trade route if he can find a “younger guy that maybe has a little less experience that can step up and play well for us now.”
Of course, given Luongo’s reportedly asked for a trade, it doesn’t appear a deal with Vancouver is on the horizon.
So who else could Yzerman pursue?
L.A.’s Jonathan Bernier is one option. The 23-year-old has a limited and not particularly convincing NHL résumé (just 42 starts with a .909 save percentage), but he’s still considered a blue-chipper.
The Senators have two youngsters in Ben Bishop and Robin Lehner.
Nashville has Anders Lindback.
And just because we enjoy baseless speculation, what if Yzerman were to call the Panthers about Jacob Markstrom, then Luongo could go to Florida? It’s farfetched for any number of reasons, but you should still spread the rumor via Twitter and internet message boards.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5