May 25, 2012, 1:36 PM EST
Lightning GM Steve Yzerman has clarified the comments he made yesterday that seemed to indicate he was only willing to explore the draft and free agency to fill his team’s goaltending vacancy.
Yzerman told the Tampa Bay Times that he’s also willing to go the trade route if he can find a “younger guy that maybe has a little less experience that can step up and play well for us now.”
Of course, given Luongo’s reportedly asked for a trade, it doesn’t appear a deal with Vancouver is on the horizon.
So who else could Yzerman pursue?
L.A.’s Jonathan Bernier is one option. The 23-year-old has a limited and not particularly convincing NHL résumé (just 42 starts with a .909 save percentage), but he’s still considered a blue-chipper.
The Senators have two youngsters in Ben Bishop and Robin Lehner.
Nashville has Anders Lindback.
And just because we enjoy baseless speculation, what if Yzerman were to call the Panthers about Jacob Markstrom, then Luongo could go to Florida? It’s farfetched for any number of reasons, but you should still spread the rumor via Twitter and internet message boards.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 10
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 16
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)