May 25, 2012, 1:36 PM EDT
Lightning GM Steve Yzerman has clarified the comments he made yesterday that seemed to indicate he was only willing to explore the draft and free agency to fill his team’s goaltending vacancy.
Yzerman told the Tampa Bay Times that he’s also willing to go the trade route if he can find a “younger guy that maybe has a little less experience that can step up and play well for us now.”
Of course, given Luongo’s reportedly asked for a trade, it doesn’t appear a deal with Vancouver is on the horizon.
So who else could Yzerman pursue?
L.A.’s Jonathan Bernier is one option. The 23-year-old has a limited and not particularly convincing NHL résumé (just 42 starts with a .909 save percentage), but he’s still considered a blue-chipper.
The Senators have two youngsters in Ben Bishop and Robin Lehner.
Nashville has Anders Lindback.
And just because we enjoy baseless speculation, what if Yzerman were to call the Panthers about Jacob Markstrom, then Luongo could go to Florida? It’s farfetched for any number of reasons, but you should still spread the rumor via Twitter and internet message boards.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)