May 25, 2012, 11:35 AM EST
A while ago Brough wrote about the saga of Anaheim prospect Justin Schultz, the 21-year-old University of Wisconsin defenseman drafted 43rd overall at the 2008 draft. One of the best talents in collegiate hockey, Schultz had reached a negotiation stalemate with the Ducks and had until June 1 to reach a deal before becoming an unrestricted free agent.
Today, we’ve got an update (courtesy TSN’s Bob McKenzie) — Schultz is reportedly leaving Wisconsin.
“Word out of Wisconsin is ANA draft Justin Schultz filed paperwork to quit school,” McKenzie tweeted. “Neither Ducks nor Schultz’s reps responding for comment. If Schultz has indeed de-registered from school, ANA has exclusive 30-day window to sign him.
“If unsigned after 30 days, he’s UFA. If UFA, Schultz cannot sign until July 1, but is free to talk to any teams immediately upon expiry of ANA’s 30-day exclusivity window.”
If you’re wondering why this is a big deal, it’s because Schultz is considered a special player (16 goals and 28 assists in 37 games this year.)
“It’s his vision. It’s his composure with the puck. It’s his puck skills,” Eaves said. “And the one thing that’s just a gift is his shot. He has the innate ability to get that puck to the net to allow for rebounds, tip-ins and goals. He’s got what we call a ‘smart shot.’
“He can bring the heat, but there are times he recognizes, you have to take a little off to get it at the net. Often times, those are the shots that go in.
“But his shot is very special. That is one unique weapon he’s got.”
Teams reportedly interested in Schultz include Edmonton (the Oilers are in desperate need of defensive talent) and Vancouver (Schultz is a native of British Columbia.)
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 2
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 29
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)