May 25, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
A while ago Brough wrote about the saga of Anaheim prospect Justin Schultz, the 21-year-old University of Wisconsin defenseman drafted 43rd overall at the 2008 draft. One of the best talents in collegiate hockey, Schultz had reached a negotiation stalemate with the Ducks and had until June 1 to reach a deal before becoming an unrestricted free agent.
Today, we’ve got an update (courtesy TSN’s Bob McKenzie) — Schultz is reportedly leaving Wisconsin.
“Word out of Wisconsin is ANA draft Justin Schultz filed paperwork to quit school,” McKenzie tweeted. “Neither Ducks nor Schultz’s reps responding for comment. If Schultz has indeed de-registered from school, ANA has exclusive 30-day window to sign him.
“If unsigned after 30 days, he’s UFA. If UFA, Schultz cannot sign until July 1, but is free to talk to any teams immediately upon expiry of ANA’s 30-day exclusivity window.”
If you’re wondering why this is a big deal, it’s because Schultz is considered a special player (16 goals and 28 assists in 37 games this year.)
“It’s his vision. It’s his composure with the puck. It’s his puck skills,” Eaves said. “And the one thing that’s just a gift is his shot. He has the innate ability to get that puck to the net to allow for rebounds, tip-ins and goals. He’s got what we call a ‘smart shot.’
“He can bring the heat, but there are times he recognizes, you have to take a little off to get it at the net. Often times, those are the shots that go in.
“But his shot is very special. That is one unique weapon he’s got.”
Teams reportedly interested in Schultz include Edmonton (the Oilers are in desperate need of defensive talent) and Vancouver (Schultz is a native of British Columbia.)
- Here’s an (updated) list of available NHL coaching candidates 1
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 21
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 85
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 60
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 98
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (98)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (86)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months