May 25, 2012, 12:31 PM EST
Alex Semin will wait until at least July 1 when he becomes an unrestricted free agent before he signs a contract, he said Thursday during a press conference in Russia.
Question: “Is there any clarity on where your career will resume in the next season?”
Semin: “I can’t say anything concrete at this time. I’m waiting for July 1st, until the negotiations in the NHL open, for now I am unemployed.”
Question: “Are your priorities in Russia or North America?”
Semin: “I can’t answer. I don’t know.”
The talented 28-year-old sniper with the propensity for needless penalties could still end up back in Washington, but the fact he’s opting to become an unrestricted free agent doesn’t signal an enormous desire to remain with the Capitals.
That said, if Washington hires a head coach with an attacking philosophy before July 1, maybe Semin could be tempted to return. On the other hand, if it’s a coach that wants the Caps to play Dale Hunter hockey, he’ll be gone.
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 0
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 5
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 23
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3