May 25, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Well this is certainly unexpected.
Dominik Hasek — the six-time Vezina winner and only goalie in league history to win multiple Hart Trophies — is in North America with the hopes of staging an NHL comeback, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Zdenek Matejovsky of Czech station TV Nova showed me an article from newspaper “Daily Sports” indicating Dominik Hasek is in N. America and wants a return to the NHL.
Hasek: “For sure, I know what I want…even my agent, he knows…but I’m not going to make any comments.”
That quote is translated to me by Zdenek.
Hasek last played in the NHL during the 2007-08 campaign with Detroit, appearing in 41 regular-season games and four playoff games en route to the Red Wings’ Stanley Cup championship. Since then, he’s played in the Czech Extraliga and KHL, most recently with Spartak Moscow.
This development comes just a few days after a Czech hockey news website reported Hasek was contemplating playing for Pirati Chomutov in 2012-13, a First National Hockey League team that competes in a league below the Extraliga.
If he were to return, Hasek would easily be the NHL’s oldest active player, surpassing 42-year-old Dwayne Roloson. He’d also be the oldest player since 48-year-old Chris Chelios suited up for the Atlanta Thrashers during the 2009-10 season.
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 5
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 1
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 41
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 36
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Writer: NHL playoffs are ‘annoying’ 74
- Blackhawks look to end current Game 3 curse 4
- Bruins’ leaders deliver Stanley Cup Final speech 14
- Report: NHL has Seattle plan ready for Coyotes 64
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP