May 25, 2012, 12:05 PM EST
Well this is certainly unexpected.
Dominik Hasek — the six-time Vezina winner and only goalie in league history to win multiple Hart Trophies — is in North America with the hopes of staging an NHL comeback, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Zdenek Matejovsky of Czech station TV Nova showed me an article from newspaper “Daily Sports” indicating Dominik Hasek is in N. America and wants a return to the NHL.
Hasek: “For sure, I know what I want…even my agent, he knows…but I’m not going to make any comments.”
That quote is translated to me by Zdenek.
Hasek last played in the NHL during the 2007-08 campaign with Detroit, appearing in 41 regular-season games and four playoff games en route to the Red Wings’ Stanley Cup championship. Since then, he’s played in the Czech Extraliga and KHL, most recently with Spartak Moscow.
This development comes just a few days after a Czech hockey news website reported Hasek was contemplating playing for Pirati Chomutov in 2012-13, a First National Hockey League team that competes in a league below the Extraliga.
If he were to return, Hasek would easily be the NHL’s oldest active player, surpassing 42-year-old Dwayne Roloson. He’d also be the oldest player since 48-year-old Chris Chelios suited up for the Atlanta Thrashers during the 2009-10 season.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 6
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)