May 25, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Well this is certainly unexpected.
Dominik Hasek — the six-time Vezina winner and only goalie in league history to win multiple Hart Trophies — is in North America with the hopes of staging an NHL comeback, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Zdenek Matejovsky of Czech station TV Nova showed me an article from newspaper “Daily Sports” indicating Dominik Hasek is in N. America and wants a return to the NHL.
Hasek: “For sure, I know what I want…even my agent, he knows…but I’m not going to make any comments.”
That quote is translated to me by Zdenek.
Hasek last played in the NHL during the 2007-08 campaign with Detroit, appearing in 41 regular-season games and four playoff games en route to the Red Wings’ Stanley Cup championship. Since then, he’s played in the Czech Extraliga and KHL, most recently with Spartak Moscow.
This development comes just a few days after a Czech hockey news website reported Hasek was contemplating playing for Pirati Chomutov in 2012-13, a First National Hockey League team that competes in a league below the Extraliga.
If he were to return, Hasek would easily be the NHL’s oldest active player, surpassing 42-year-old Dwayne Roloson. He’d also be the oldest player since 48-year-old Chris Chelios suited up for the Atlanta Thrashers during the 2009-10 season.
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 0
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 59
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)