May 25, 2012, 12:05 PM EST
Well this is certainly unexpected.
Dominik Hasek — the six-time Vezina winner and only goalie in league history to win multiple Hart Trophies — is in North America with the hopes of staging an NHL comeback, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Zdenek Matejovsky of Czech station TV Nova showed me an article from newspaper “Daily Sports” indicating Dominik Hasek is in N. America and wants a return to the NHL.
Hasek: “For sure, I know what I want…even my agent, he knows…but I’m not going to make any comments.”
That quote is translated to me by Zdenek.
Hasek last played in the NHL during the 2007-08 campaign with Detroit, appearing in 41 regular-season games and four playoff games en route to the Red Wings’ Stanley Cup championship. Since then, he’s played in the Czech Extraliga and KHL, most recently with Spartak Moscow.
This development comes just a few days after a Czech hockey news website reported Hasek was contemplating playing for Pirati Chomutov in 2012-13, a First National Hockey League team that competes in a league below the Extraliga.
If he were to return, Hasek would easily be the NHL’s oldest active player, surpassing 42-year-old Dwayne Roloson. He’d also be the oldest player since 48-year-old Chris Chelios suited up for the Atlanta Thrashers during the 2009-10 season.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)