Report: 47-year-old Dominik Hasek eyeing NHL comeback

May 25, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT

Dominik Hasek AP

Well this is certainly unexpected.

Dominik Hasek — the six-time Vezina winner and only goalie in league history to win multiple Hart Trophies — is in North America with the hopes of staging an NHL comeback, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.

Here’s Friedman, via Twitter:

Zdenek Matejovsky of Czech station TV Nova showed me an article from newspaper “Daily Sports” indicating Dominik Hasek is in N. America and wants a return to the NHL.

Hasek: “For sure, I know what I want…even my agent, he knows…but I’m not going to make any comments.”

That quote is translated to me by Zdenek.

Hasek last played in the NHL during the 2007-08 campaign with Detroit, appearing in 41 regular-season games and four playoff games en route to the Red Wings’ Stanley Cup championship. Since then, he’s played in the Czech Extraliga and KHL, most recently with Spartak Moscow.

This development comes just a few days after a Czech hockey news website reported Hasek was contemplating playing for Pirati Chomutov in 2012-13, a First National Hockey League team that competes in a league below the Extraliga.

If he were to return, Hasek would easily be the NHL’s oldest active player, surpassing 42-year-old Dwayne Roloson. He’d also be the oldest player since 48-year-old Chris Chelios suited up for the Atlanta Thrashers during the 2009-10 season.

1. scionofflame - May 25, 2012 at 12:07 PM

…On one hand, I say “Man, he’s getting a bit too old to be an NHL goalie.”.

On the other hand, I say “OH MAN DOMINIC HASEK THAT WOULD SO SWEET DO IT DO IT DO IT!”

• polegojim - May 26, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Has has the skill, but his body can’t take the beating.

His last four years in the league…
      03-04 – missed 53 games from groin injury
      04-05 – missed 25 games from groin injury
      06-07-08 missed numerous games from wrist, thigh, hip injuries

That’s just typical for a older body in post slinky mode.

Hiring Hasek means a team will need three goalies, period. He’s definitely a back up, but bet on paying him for IR time even at that.

• polegojim - May 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM

HA! Funny one… thumbs down for absolute fact and truth… sorry it hurts!

2. babar61 - May 25, 2012 at 12:11 PM

He can want to come back all he wants…who would sign any 47 year old to their NHL team?

• miketoasty - May 25, 2012 at 12:19 PM

A team desperate to sell tickets? I would go to see him play in probably his last season.

• obamablowz - May 25, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Buffalo is a dump organization maybe they’ll do it

• joethorntonisclutch - May 26, 2012 at 4:54 AM

I feel like Buffalo has plenty of depth in net actually. Total ignorance.

3. Mr. Miller - May 25, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I’m sure his mind tells him that he can do it. Unfortunately, I doubt his body, his reflexes, and stamina got the message. I’m not a huge Hasek fan, but I’d hate to see his image and legacy stained because of a failed comeback attempt which seems to happen a lot in sports these days….

• braddavery - May 25, 2012 at 3:24 PM

He is in better physical condition right now than many current NHL goalies. That is why he is even contemplating returning to the NHL. The guy takes amazing care of his body and is probably closer to 37 in body age than 47. If he’s better than one current NHL goalie, he deserves a shot.

• Mr. Miller - May 25, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Oh. I have no doubt he’s better than at least one NHL goalie. That still doesn’t mean that he wouldn’t tarnish is career with a comeback. For one, expectations would be very high and if he doesn’t meet them, he’ll be considered a disappointment. And two, the NHL is an elite (if not THE elite) league in the world. The time away and being 47 years old would be HUGE obstacles to overcome.

• braddavery - May 25, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Except for the fact that he’s only one season removed from professional hockey. It’s not like he’s been sitting on his ass for 3+ years. The guy played a full season in 2010-11 and keeps in top physical shape when not playing. I would think that a 47 year-old Hasek is most likely better than a quarter to a third of the goalies in the NHL (not necessarily starters).

4. Stiller43 - May 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Oh man i’d love to see this.

5. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - May 25, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Leafs need a goalie.

• nothanksimdriving123 - May 25, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I’m thinking the duo of Hasek and Luongo would be perfect. Dom could mentor the kid and prep him for the playoffs. Heck, the last Leafs Cup was with Bower and Sawchuk, whose ages totaled 179 at the time. ;-)

6. balewsquare - May 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Yeeeess!! The Dominator is my all time favorite! He’s still been playing well in the Czech League all these years.

7. lsxphotog - May 25, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Couldn’t be any worse than what was in the net in Columbus last year…and people would go see him. haha

8. bleed4philly - May 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM

We’ll gladly take you!

9. northstars17 - May 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM

no way he comes back!? will he still have it?

10. jonzerjay - May 25, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Hope he comes back….then the STARS could win another cup!!!! Go STARS!

11. wizzzilk - May 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I’ve been reading on this site for months without registering to post comments. When I read this headline, I immediately registered so I could post.

LMAO!!!!

That is all.

• creasemasta41 - May 25, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Cool story bro…

12. bcjim - May 25, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Don’t see this being a success.

13. mclovinhockey - May 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Dom COULD be a fun backup. Backing up a goalie that plays the majority of the year. It would be funny to see him sign in NJ with Marty. They could have the oldest goalie duo of all time with two of the best goalies in NHL history. That said, I hate NJ but they need to sell tickets since they have one of the worst fan bases in the league and that would prob be the best team and situation for him since NJ has some grade A Defensive play.

14. michiganhockey11 - May 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM

The dude had a groin made of glass when he was with the Wings. I pity any team who take a flyer on him. I’d give him no more than 10 games before the injury bug hits him again.

15. rockthered1286 - May 25, 2012 at 2:29 PM

In a related story, Hasek was last seen spending time with Brett Favre and Jose Canseco.

Comebacks always go over well.

• michiganhockey11 - May 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM

True, but at least Favre played again in the majors. Isn’t Canseco playing single-A?

• chiadam - May 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Canseco is playing negative 100-A. He wishes he was single A.

• kingfooj - May 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM

16. chiadam - May 25, 2012 at 2:54 PM

“Hey, you kids, get outta my crease! Don’t make me call your parents! Lousy punks…”

• michiganhockey11 - May 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM

~scowling~

“Get off my lawn”……….

17. daniel10017 - May 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Is this a joke? It’s not funny. Any GM who signs him should be fired immediately.

• bhawkce - May 26, 2012 at 1:38 AM

‘Mr. Howson, line one..its Hasek he wants to play again’

‘Welcome to the Blue Jackets!’

18. tarotsujimoto74 - May 25, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I’d take him back in Buffalo. He should officially retire in the blue and gold

19. danphipps01 - May 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM

He’d make a solid backup at least, and I imagine he’d sign a really cheap contract if it helped get an interested GM over the whole “He’s forty-freaking-seven.” thing. Could be a budget move for a team near the cap in need of some hope in net. Philly, maybe?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches