May 25, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Well this is certainly unexpected.
Dominik Hasek — the six-time Vezina winner and only goalie in league history to win multiple Hart Trophies — is in North America with the hopes of staging an NHL comeback, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Zdenek Matejovsky of Czech station TV Nova showed me an article from newspaper “Daily Sports” indicating Dominik Hasek is in N. America and wants a return to the NHL.
Hasek: “For sure, I know what I want…even my agent, he knows…but I’m not going to make any comments.”
That quote is translated to me by Zdenek.
Hasek last played in the NHL during the 2007-08 campaign with Detroit, appearing in 41 regular-season games and four playoff games en route to the Red Wings’ Stanley Cup championship. Since then, he’s played in the Czech Extraliga and KHL, most recently with Spartak Moscow.
This development comes just a few days after a Czech hockey news website reported Hasek was contemplating playing for Pirati Chomutov in 2012-13, a First National Hockey League team that competes in a league below the Extraliga.
If he were to return, Hasek would easily be the NHL’s oldest active player, surpassing 42-year-old Dwayne Roloson. He’d also be the oldest player since 48-year-old Chris Chelios suited up for the Atlanta Thrashers during the 2009-10 season.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)