May 25, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
When asked if the New York Rangers could take some positives from a 5-3 Game 5 loss, John Tortorella was emphatic that they could. He seemed to tell the story of many in that locker room, as Andrew Gross reports that the team hopes to take that aggressive mindset into tonight’s elimination contest.
“Not just this series, we’ve been looking for that kind of game all playoffs,” Mike Rupp said. “It was good for the players to know what it looks like. I think we just strayed from it.”
“When you play with a certain kind of confidence in your identity and what you do, if you get burned by it you keep going back to it and have the confidence in it. It felt throughout these playoffs, there was just a little hesitation in our game. Our strongest asset to this point is our aggression and our ability to pressure teams.”
Yet for much of this series, the New Jersey Devils’ forecheck and speed have been putting the pressure on the Rangers. Gross points out that New York managed to come back from a 3-2 deficit twice in 18 playoff opportunities in franchise history, yet the Rangers did so against Ottawa already.
So far, the Rangers have played their best hockey with their backs against the wall, but this looks to be the biggest test yet.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)