May 25, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
When asked if the New York Rangers could take some positives from a 5-3 Game 5 loss, John Tortorella was emphatic that they could. He seemed to tell the story of many in that locker room, as Andrew Gross reports that the team hopes to take that aggressive mindset into tonight’s elimination contest.
“Not just this series, we’ve been looking for that kind of game all playoffs,” Mike Rupp said. “It was good for the players to know what it looks like. I think we just strayed from it.”
“When you play with a certain kind of confidence in your identity and what you do, if you get burned by it you keep going back to it and have the confidence in it. It felt throughout these playoffs, there was just a little hesitation in our game. Our strongest asset to this point is our aggression and our ability to pressure teams.”
Yet for much of this series, the New Jersey Devils’ forecheck and speed have been putting the pressure on the Rangers. Gross points out that New York managed to come back from a 3-2 deficit twice in 18 playoff opportunities in franchise history, yet the Rangers did so against Ottawa already.
So far, the Rangers have played their best hockey with their backs against the wall, but this looks to be the biggest test yet.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)