May 25, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
When asked if the New York Rangers could take some positives from a 5-3 Game 5 loss, John Tortorella was emphatic that they could. He seemed to tell the story of many in that locker room, as Andrew Gross reports that the team hopes to take that aggressive mindset into tonight’s elimination contest.
“Not just this series, we’ve been looking for that kind of game all playoffs,” Mike Rupp said. “It was good for the players to know what it looks like. I think we just strayed from it.”
“When you play with a certain kind of confidence in your identity and what you do, if you get burned by it you keep going back to it and have the confidence in it. It felt throughout these playoffs, there was just a little hesitation in our game. Our strongest asset to this point is our aggression and our ability to pressure teams.”
Yet for much of this series, the New Jersey Devils’ forecheck and speed have been putting the pressure on the Rangers. Gross points out that New York managed to come back from a 3-2 deficit twice in 18 playoff opportunities in franchise history, yet the Rangers did so against Ottawa already.
So far, the Rangers have played their best hockey with their backs against the wall, but this looks to be the biggest test yet.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)