May 25, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
Rick Dudley may be leaving his post as Toronto’s director of player personnel to become the assistant general manager in Montreal, but it’s not because he believes the Maple Leafs are a lost cause.
In fact, Dudley told the Globe and Mail the Leafs need only make “three moves and maybe two to become a really, really good hockey organization.”
Above all, he says GM Brian Burke needs to acquire an established goalie.
“The whole team gets better [with good goaltending],” Dudley said. “It took me a whole lifetime in hockey to realize that. But it puts confidence in your players and makes them all better.”
Dudley also sang the praises of Leafs youngster Jake Gardiner, as well as prospects Joe Colborne, Jesse Blacker, Korbinian Holzer and Stuart Percy.
“They are all going to play in the league and they’re going to be good,” he said.
We tend to poke fun at the Leafs on PHT. However, based on the Marlies’ strong showing in the AHL playoffs, we do recognize there’s reason to believe things could get better.
Not quite ready to predict “really, really good” though.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 3
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 50
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 64
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 44
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)