May 25, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
Rick Dudley may be leaving his post as Toronto’s director of player personnel to become the assistant general manager in Montreal, but it’s not because he believes the Maple Leafs are a lost cause.
In fact, Dudley told the Globe and Mail the Leafs need only make “three moves and maybe two to become a really, really good hockey organization.”
Above all, he says GM Brian Burke needs to acquire an established goalie.
“The whole team gets better [with good goaltending],” Dudley said. “It took me a whole lifetime in hockey to realize that. But it puts confidence in your players and makes them all better.”
Dudley also sang the praises of Leafs youngster Jake Gardiner, as well as prospects Joe Colborne, Jesse Blacker, Korbinian Holzer and Stuart Percy.
“They are all going to play in the league and they’re going to be good,” he said.
We tend to poke fun at the Leafs on PHT. However, based on the Marlies’ strong showing in the AHL playoffs, we do recognize there’s reason to believe things could get better.
Not quite ready to predict “really, really good” though.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)