May 25, 2012, 2:48 PM EST
Rick Dudley may be leaving his post as Toronto’s director of player personnel to become the assistant general manager in Montreal, but it’s not because he believes the Maple Leafs are a lost cause.
In fact, Dudley told the Globe and Mail the Leafs need only make “three moves and maybe two to become a really, really good hockey organization.”
Above all, he says GM Brian Burke needs to acquire an established goalie.
“The whole team gets better [with good goaltending],” Dudley said. “It took me a whole lifetime in hockey to realize that. But it puts confidence in your players and makes them all better.”
Dudley also sang the praises of Leafs youngster Jake Gardiner, as well as prospects Joe Colborne, Jesse Blacker, Korbinian Holzer and Stuart Percy.
“They are all going to play in the league and they’re going to be good,” he said.
We tend to poke fun at the Leafs on PHT. However, based on the Marlies’ strong showing in the AHL playoffs, we do recognize there’s reason to believe things could get better.
Not quite ready to predict “really, really good” though.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 5
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 60
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 3
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (60)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)