May 25, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
Rick Dudley may be leaving his post as Toronto’s director of player personnel to become the assistant general manager in Montreal, but it’s not because he believes the Maple Leafs are a lost cause.
In fact, Dudley told the Globe and Mail the Leafs need only make “three moves and maybe two to become a really, really good hockey organization.”
Above all, he says GM Brian Burke needs to acquire an established goalie.
“The whole team gets better [with good goaltending],” Dudley said. “It took me a whole lifetime in hockey to realize that. But it puts confidence in your players and makes them all better.”
Dudley also sang the praises of Leafs youngster Jake Gardiner, as well as prospects Joe Colborne, Jesse Blacker, Korbinian Holzer and Stuart Percy.
“They are all going to play in the league and they’re going to be good,” he said.
We tend to poke fun at the Leafs on PHT. However, based on the Marlies’ strong showing in the AHL playoffs, we do recognize there’s reason to believe things could get better.
Not quite ready to predict “really, really good” though.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 69
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 29
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 52
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (69)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)