May 25, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
Joey MacDonald knows he wants to be in Detroit next season.
Last season, the Red Wings goalie didn’t spend as much time in the Motor City has he would’ve liked — most of his time was with AHL Grand Rapids — but injuries to Jimmy Howard and Ty Conklin in early February gave MacDonald a shot at starting, and he replied with an 8-5-1 record, 2.16 goals-against average and .912 save percentage.
That brief spell pushed MacDonald into setting a goal for 2012-13 — to be the full-time No. 2 behind Howard.
“My goal is to be the backup next season,” he told the Detroit Free Press. “I’ve got a contract for next year, and that’s my focus.”
MacDonald as the backup would make sense for Detroit, especially since he’s already on the books for $550,000 and played well in relief last season, far better than Conklin. That said, the Wings might make a move for Washington’s Tomas Vokoun, a guy they targeted last season but couldn’t match the Capitals offer for (namely, the shot at a starting gig.)
Vokoun is now 35 and seemingly more suited for a backup role, so the Wings could come calling again.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)