May 25, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
Joey MacDonald knows he wants to be in Detroit next season.
Last season, the Red Wings goalie didn’t spend as much time in the Motor City has he would’ve liked — most of his time was with AHL Grand Rapids — but injuries to Jimmy Howard and Ty Conklin in early February gave MacDonald a shot at starting, and he replied with an 8-5-1 record, 2.16 goals-against average and .912 save percentage.
That brief spell pushed MacDonald into setting a goal for 2012-13 — to be the full-time No. 2 behind Howard.
“My goal is to be the backup next season,” he told the Detroit Free Press. “I’ve got a contract for next year, and that’s my focus.”
MacDonald as the backup would make sense for Detroit, especially since he’s already on the books for $550,000 and played well in relief last season, far better than Conklin. That said, the Wings might make a move for Washington’s Tomas Vokoun, a guy they targeted last season but couldn’t match the Capitals offer for (namely, the shot at a starting gig.)
Vokoun is now 35 and seemingly more suited for a backup role, so the Wings could come calling again.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 17
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)