May 25, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
Joey MacDonald knows he wants to be in Detroit next season.
Last season, the Red Wings goalie didn’t spend as much time in the Motor City has he would’ve liked — most of his time was with AHL Grand Rapids — but injuries to Jimmy Howard and Ty Conklin in early February gave MacDonald a shot at starting, and he replied with an 8-5-1 record, 2.16 goals-against average and .912 save percentage.
That brief spell pushed MacDonald into setting a goal for 2012-13 — to be the full-time No. 2 behind Howard.
“My goal is to be the backup next season,” he told the Detroit Free Press. “I’ve got a contract for next year, and that’s my focus.”
MacDonald as the backup would make sense for Detroit, especially since he’s already on the books for $550,000 and played well in relief last season, far better than Conklin. That said, the Wings might make a move for Washington’s Tomas Vokoun, a guy they targeted last season but couldn’t match the Capitals offer for (namely, the shot at a starting gig.)
Vokoun is now 35 and seemingly more suited for a backup role, so the Wings could come calling again.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 21
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)