May 25, 2012, 5:29 PM EST
Internet celebrity Conan O’Brien tweeted a rather untimely joke Friday.
“The @LAKings are playing the @PhoenixCoyotes? I wonder which city that shouldn’t have a hockey team will win,” wrote O’Brien, who boasts over 5 million followers on Twitter.
Of course, the Los Angeles Kings aren’t actually playing the Phoenix Coyotes – they already eliminated them Tuesday to advance to the Stanley Cup finals.
Not surprisingly, the Kings responded in convincing fashion via Twitter: “Clearly, that joke wasn’t meant for prime time.”
O’Brien is also rumored to host a late-night television program.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)