May 25, 2012, 5:29 PM EDT
Internet celebrity Conan O’Brien tweeted a rather untimely joke Friday.
“The @LAKings are playing the @PhoenixCoyotes? I wonder which city that shouldn’t have a hockey team will win,” wrote O’Brien, who boasts over 5 million followers on Twitter.
Of course, the Los Angeles Kings aren’t actually playing the Phoenix Coyotes – they already eliminated them Tuesday to advance to the Stanley Cup finals.
Not surprisingly, the Kings responded in convincing fashion via Twitter: “Clearly, that joke wasn’t meant for prime time.”
O’Brien is also rumored to host a late-night television program.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)