May 25, 2012, 5:29 PM EDT
Internet celebrity Conan O’Brien tweeted a rather untimely joke Friday.
“The @LAKings are playing the @PhoenixCoyotes? I wonder which city that shouldn’t have a hockey team will win,” wrote O’Brien, who boasts over 5 million followers on Twitter.
Of course, the Los Angeles Kings aren’t actually playing the Phoenix Coyotes – they already eliminated them Tuesday to advance to the Stanley Cup finals.
Not surprisingly, the Kings responded in convincing fashion via Twitter: “Clearly, that joke wasn’t meant for prime time.”
O’Brien is also rumored to host a late-night television program.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 8
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)