May 25, 2012, 5:29 PM EDT
Internet celebrity Conan O’Brien tweeted a rather untimely joke Friday.
“The @LAKings are playing the @PhoenixCoyotes? I wonder which city that shouldn’t have a hockey team will win,” wrote O’Brien, who boasts over 5 million followers on Twitter.
Of course, the Los Angeles Kings aren’t actually playing the Phoenix Coyotes – they already eliminated them Tuesday to advance to the Stanley Cup finals.
Not surprisingly, the Kings responded in convincing fashion via Twitter: “Clearly, that joke wasn’t meant for prime time.”
O’Brien is also rumored to host a late-night television program.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)