May 25, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Longtime Montreal Gazette scribe Red Fisher has weighed in on the Canadiens coaching search, and targeted a pair of potential candidates to be behind the bench next season.
Bilingualism is a priority, and since I’m told two interviews were held in Florida, I’m guessing that Tampa Bay assistants Daniel Lacroix and Martin Raymond are in the mix.
Put it this way: I’m betting both already have been interviewed among the five candidates GM Marc Bergevin has in mind. What they have going for them is that both were assistants to Guy Boucher with the American Hockey League’s Hamilton Bulldogs and followed him when he was named Lightning head coach two seasons ago.
Lacroix is the more experienced of the two, having served three years as an assistant on Long Island (under Ted Nolan and Scott Gordon).
Raymond (pictured, w/Boucher) spent one year as an assistant in Hamilton before making the jump to Tampa.
Fisher suggests that both could be hired by Bergevin, which makes sense. What Lacroix and Raymond have going for them is 1) both are from Montreal, 2) both speak French and 3) chemistry — they’ve worked behind the same bench for three years and developed a strong working relationship.
This is important, especially given comments from former Habs defenseman Jaro Spacek that depicted the Habs as a dysfunctional organization lacking communication, leadership and continuity.
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)