May 25, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Longtime Montreal Gazette scribe Red Fisher has weighed in on the Canadiens coaching search, and targeted a pair of potential candidates to be behind the bench next season.
Bilingualism is a priority, and since I’m told two interviews were held in Florida, I’m guessing that Tampa Bay assistants Daniel Lacroix and Martin Raymond are in the mix.
Put it this way: I’m betting both already have been interviewed among the five candidates GM Marc Bergevin has in mind. What they have going for them is that both were assistants to Guy Boucher with the American Hockey League’s Hamilton Bulldogs and followed him when he was named Lightning head coach two seasons ago.
Lacroix is the more experienced of the two, having served three years as an assistant on Long Island (under Ted Nolan and Scott Gordon).
Raymond (pictured, w/Boucher) spent one year as an assistant in Hamilton before making the jump to Tampa.
Fisher suggests that both could be hired by Bergevin, which makes sense. What Lacroix and Raymond have going for them is 1) both are from Montreal, 2) both speak French and 3) chemistry — they’ve worked behind the same bench for three years and developed a strong working relationship.
This is important, especially given comments from former Habs defenseman Jaro Spacek that depicted the Habs as a dysfunctional organization lacking communication, leadership and continuity.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)