May 25, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Longtime Montreal Gazette scribe Red Fisher has weighed in on the Canadiens coaching search, and targeted a pair of potential candidates to be behind the bench next season.
Bilingualism is a priority, and since I’m told two interviews were held in Florida, I’m guessing that Tampa Bay assistants Daniel Lacroix and Martin Raymond are in the mix.
Put it this way: I’m betting both already have been interviewed among the five candidates GM Marc Bergevin has in mind. What they have going for them is that both were assistants to Guy Boucher with the American Hockey League’s Hamilton Bulldogs and followed him when he was named Lightning head coach two seasons ago.
Lacroix is the more experienced of the two, having served three years as an assistant on Long Island (under Ted Nolan and Scott Gordon).
Raymond (pictured, w/Boucher) spent one year as an assistant in Hamilton before making the jump to Tampa.
Fisher suggests that both could be hired by Bergevin, which makes sense. What Lacroix and Raymond have going for them is 1) both are from Montreal, 2) both speak French and 3) chemistry — they’ve worked behind the same bench for three years and developed a strong working relationship.
This is important, especially given comments from former Habs defenseman Jaro Spacek that depicted the Habs as a dysfunctional organization lacking communication, leadership and continuity.
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 8
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 9
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 8
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 45
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- HBT: Dodgers manager Mattingly could be on the hot seat
- OlyTalk: Pistorius rules out racing in 2013
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- Play Video: Finalists for Mark Messier Leadership Award
- Play Video: Bruins turn weakness into strength
- Play Video: Highlights: Senators win double overtime thriller
- Play Video: Craig Adams lays out Spezza in OT
- Play Video: Vokoun makes a big time save on Neil
- Play Video: Cooke catches Karlsson in face with stick