May 25, 2012, 6:38 PM EDT
Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown is a do-everything player, but one of those “things” involves getting under his opponents’ skin. No time was that more prominent than during (or should I say, after) Game 5 of the Western Conference finals, when his controversial hit on Michal Rozsival prompted an unusually tense handshake line. Brown is doing something that the Phoenix Coyotes understandably couldn’t do right after it happened: he’s letting it go.
Brown told Rich Hammond that he’s giving the Coyotes “the benefit of the doubt.”
“I know it’s an emotional game and (the loss) just happened. You give them the benefit of the doubt,” Brown said. “But I was a little surprised at the time. Did it affect me after the game? No. I play the game hard, and I thought it was a clean hit and that’s it. I’m moving on. Again, it happened so quick for them, so I like to give them the benefit of the doubt on the emotional level. It’s an emotional game out there, and stuff happens.”
It’s understandable that Brown is taking the high road. He’s the Kings’ leader, he won’t face a suspension for that check and his team won. It’s pretty tough to imagine him blasting the Coyotes in the press considering those circumstances.
That doesn’t mean he’s likely to get a very friendly reception next time he plays against Shane Doan & Co., though.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)