May 25, 2012, 6:38 PM EDT
Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown is a do-everything player, but one of those “things” involves getting under his opponents’ skin. No time was that more prominent than during (or should I say, after) Game 5 of the Western Conference finals, when his controversial hit on Michal Rozsival prompted an unusually tense handshake line. Brown is doing something that the Phoenix Coyotes understandably couldn’t do right after it happened: he’s letting it go.
Brown told Rich Hammond that he’s giving the Coyotes “the benefit of the doubt.”
“I know it’s an emotional game and (the loss) just happened. You give them the benefit of the doubt,” Brown said. “But I was a little surprised at the time. Did it affect me after the game? No. I play the game hard, and I thought it was a clean hit and that’s it. I’m moving on. Again, it happened so quick for them, so I like to give them the benefit of the doubt on the emotional level. It’s an emotional game out there, and stuff happens.”
It’s understandable that Brown is taking the high road. He’s the Kings’ leader, he won’t face a suspension for that check and his team won. It’s pretty tough to imagine him blasting the Coyotes in the press considering those circumstances.
That doesn’t mean he’s likely to get a very friendly reception next time he plays against Shane Doan & Co., though.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 25
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 12
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)