May 25, 2012, 6:38 PM EDT
Los Angeles Kings captain Dustin Brown is a do-everything player, but one of those “things” involves getting under his opponents’ skin. No time was that more prominent than during (or should I say, after) Game 5 of the Western Conference finals, when his controversial hit on Michal Rozsival prompted an unusually tense handshake line. Brown is doing something that the Phoenix Coyotes understandably couldn’t do right after it happened: he’s letting it go.
Brown told Rich Hammond that he’s giving the Coyotes “the benefit of the doubt.”
“I know it’s an emotional game and (the loss) just happened. You give them the benefit of the doubt,” Brown said. “But I was a little surprised at the time. Did it affect me after the game? No. I play the game hard, and I thought it was a clean hit and that’s it. I’m moving on. Again, it happened so quick for them, so I like to give them the benefit of the doubt on the emotional level. It’s an emotional game out there, and stuff happens.”
It’s understandable that Brown is taking the high road. He’s the Kings’ leader, he won’t face a suspension for that check and his team won. It’s pretty tough to imagine him blasting the Coyotes in the press considering those circumstances.
That doesn’t mean he’s likely to get a very friendly reception next time he plays against Shane Doan & Co., though.
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 19
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)