May 25, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
The Justin Schultz sweepstakes looks like it’s about to heat up.
Bob McKenzie reports that Schultz “de-registered” from the University of Wisconsin, which makes him eligible to sign an entry-level contract. The Anaheim Ducks drafted him in the second round in 2008, but all that gives them is a 30-day window to sign the hot prospect. McKenzie indicates that Schultz won’t sign with Anaheim, which means that the Ducks might be best served to trade his rights to a team with a chance to nab him.
It might be a while before we hear anything concrete about an actual signing, however, as he won’t be able to ink a deal until free agency officially begins on July 1.
In the mean time, fans of defense-needy teams can feel free to daydream about adding the WCHA defenseman of the year to their mix. McKenzie argues that Schultz might be the most desirable UFA behind Ryan Suter and Zach Parise this summer.
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 0
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 36
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 41
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 24
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0