May 25, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
Ottawa Senators fans don’t want Daniel Alfredsson to retire. That’s the message those signing a petition to convince him to play out the last season of his contract are trying to convey. The petition’s goal is to get 11,000 signatures and news of it has made its way back to Alfredsson.
“It’s very flattering, it is, and I really appreciate it deeply,” Alfredsson said. “But I don’t know if it’s going to have an effect on my decision. I think I have to feel that I have what it takes, and the determination, to go through another year.
“Even though I had a lot of fun last year, it is still a long year, and when you have a family, and you’re my age, it’s a big commitment.”
Alfredsson’s plan is to rest this week after participating in the World Championship and then start working out lightly. He’ll ramp things up gradually and see how his body reacts.
“If I feel I have the desire and the will to go through with the workouts, and to push myself, then it’s a go and I’ll play,” Alfredsson said.
It could be a while before he comes to a decision regarding the 2012-13 campaign.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)