May 25, 2012, 10:06 AM EST
Ottawa Senators fans don’t want Daniel Alfredsson to retire. That’s the message those signing a petition to convince him to play out the last season of his contract are trying to convey. The petition’s goal is to get 11,000 signatures and news of it has made its way back to Alfredsson.
“It’s very flattering, it is, and I really appreciate it deeply,” Alfredsson said. “But I don’t know if it’s going to have an effect on my decision. I think I have to feel that I have what it takes, and the determination, to go through another year.
“Even though I had a lot of fun last year, it is still a long year, and when you have a family, and you’re my age, it’s a big commitment.”
Alfredsson’s plan is to rest this week after participating in the World Championship and then start working out lightly. He’ll ramp things up gradually and see how his body reacts.
“If I feel I have the desire and the will to go through with the workouts, and to push myself, then it’s a go and I’ll play,” Alfredsson said.
It could be a while before he comes to a decision regarding the 2012-13 campaign.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)