May 25, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
Ottawa Senators fans don’t want Daniel Alfredsson to retire. That’s the message those signing a petition to convince him to play out the last season of his contract are trying to convey. The petition’s goal is to get 11,000 signatures and news of it has made its way back to Alfredsson.
“It’s very flattering, it is, and I really appreciate it deeply,” Alfredsson said. “But I don’t know if it’s going to have an effect on my decision. I think I have to feel that I have what it takes, and the determination, to go through another year.
“Even though I had a lot of fun last year, it is still a long year, and when you have a family, and you’re my age, it’s a big commitment.”
Alfredsson’s plan is to rest this week after participating in the World Championship and then start working out lightly. He’ll ramp things up gradually and see how his body reacts.
“If I feel I have the desire and the will to go through with the workouts, and to push myself, then it’s a go and I’ll play,” Alfredsson said.
It could be a while before he comes to a decision regarding the 2012-13 campaign.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (41)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)