May 25, 2012, 10:06 AM EST
Ottawa Senators fans don’t want Daniel Alfredsson to retire. That’s the message those signing a petition to convince him to play out the last season of his contract are trying to convey. The petition’s goal is to get 11,000 signatures and news of it has made its way back to Alfredsson.
“It’s very flattering, it is, and I really appreciate it deeply,” Alfredsson said. “But I don’t know if it’s going to have an effect on my decision. I think I have to feel that I have what it takes, and the determination, to go through another year.
“Even though I had a lot of fun last year, it is still a long year, and when you have a family, and you’re my age, it’s a big commitment.”
Alfredsson’s plan is to rest this week after participating in the World Championship and then start working out lightly. He’ll ramp things up gradually and see how his body reacts.
“If I feel I have the desire and the will to go through with the workouts, and to push myself, then it’s a go and I’ll play,” Alfredsson said.
It could be a while before he comes to a decision regarding the 2012-13 campaign.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)