May 25, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
Ottawa Senators fans don’t want Daniel Alfredsson to retire. That’s the message those signing a petition to convince him to play out the last season of his contract are trying to convey. The petition’s goal is to get 11,000 signatures and news of it has made its way back to Alfredsson.
“It’s very flattering, it is, and I really appreciate it deeply,” Alfredsson said. “But I don’t know if it’s going to have an effect on my decision. I think I have to feel that I have what it takes, and the determination, to go through another year.
“Even though I had a lot of fun last year, it is still a long year, and when you have a family, and you’re my age, it’s a big commitment.”
Alfredsson’s plan is to rest this week after participating in the World Championship and then start working out lightly. He’ll ramp things up gradually and see how his body reacts.
“If I feel I have the desire and the will to go through with the workouts, and to push myself, then it’s a go and I’ll play,” Alfredsson said.
It could be a while before he comes to a decision regarding the 2012-13 campaign.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)