May 24, 2012, 6:12 PM EDT
We previously reported that the Michigan state House was busy working on legislation to allow people to purchase alcohol during the 2013 NHL Winter Classic at the University of Michigan. Well, you’ll be happy to know that their efforts seem to be paying off.
The House has approved a bill sponsored by Republican state Representative Mark Ouimet on Thursday. The next step is for it to be voted on in the state Senate. Thus concludes our brief civic lesson on how a bill to allow people to buy beer at a sporting event becomes law.
It’s worth noting that when the NHL approved the venue for the Winter Classic, it was on the condition that the sale of alcohol would be permitted.
The Winter Classic will be between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)