May 24, 2012, 6:12 PM EDT
We previously reported that the Michigan state House was busy working on legislation to allow people to purchase alcohol during the 2013 NHL Winter Classic at the University of Michigan. Well, you’ll be happy to know that their efforts seem to be paying off.
The House has approved a bill sponsored by Republican state Representative Mark Ouimet on Thursday. The next step is for it to be voted on in the state Senate. Thus concludes our brief civic lesson on how a bill to allow people to buy beer at a sporting event becomes law.
It’s worth noting that when the NHL approved the venue for the Winter Classic, it was on the condition that the sale of alcohol would be permitted.
The Winter Classic will be between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 47
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 39
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 30
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 40
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (53)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)