May 24, 2012, 6:12 PM EST
We previously reported that the Michigan state House was busy working on legislation to allow people to purchase alcohol during the 2013 NHL Winter Classic at the University of Michigan. Well, you’ll be happy to know that their efforts seem to be paying off.
The House has approved a bill sponsored by Republican state Representative Mark Ouimet on Thursday. The next step is for it to be voted on in the state Senate. Thus concludes our brief civic lesson on how a bill to allow people to buy beer at a sporting event becomes law.
It’s worth noting that when the NHL approved the venue for the Winter Classic, it was on the condition that the sale of alcohol would be permitted.
The Winter Classic will be between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 42
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 45