May 24, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
Travis Zajac isn’t one of the big reasons why the New Jersey Devils made the playoffs in the first place. He couldn’t be. He was limited to just 15 regular season games because of his long road to recover from Achilles tendon surgery.
Still, he’s better now and helping the Devils when they need him the most. Through 17 playoff games, Zajac is tied with Zach Parise for the team lead in goals with seven.
“I knew how good a player he was,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer said of Zajac. I got the reports from previous year how important he was to the team. It obviously took him a while to get in the rhythm, but once he got going, you know, he’s been outstanding for us this playoff, all situations. I think it’s almost been a benefit he didn’t play 82 games. He’s fresh.”
Given how long a road it’s been for New Jersey, it must be nice to have a key player who has a little less mileage on him this season. Zajac ranks third in Devils’ forwards in ice time during their playoff run.
Zajac scored key goals in the Devils’ last two games. Thanks in part to his efforts, New Jersey has an opportunity to eliminate the New York Rangers on Friday and advance to the Stanley Cup finals.
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 1
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 9
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 72
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 63
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)