May 24, 2012, 11:06 AM EDT
Perhaps the 30-14 record has gone to their heads. Or, perhaps the Los Angeles Dodgers really do think they could host a Winter Classic in a city where the temperature averages around 70°F in January.
“Facility-wise, we could certainly handle it,” Dodgers President Stan Kasten told the L.A. Times.
Added chairman Mark Walter: “They put a man on the moon. They can make it work.”
However, developing the space technology might not be the biggest roadblock to a game at Dodgers Stadium.
In December, the NHL’s chief operating officer, John Collins, told the New York Times that a West Coast team was unlikely to host a Winter Classic.
“We have a window at 1 o’clock on New Year’s Day, so that limits your ability to go west,” Collins said. “We like that window, and we like the family environment at these games. I think part of that is playing at 1 o’clock.”
The 2013 Winter Classic will be held at Michigan Stadium between the Red Wings and Maple Leafs.
After that, nobody knows. However, potential venues that haven’t hosted a previous Winter Classic include Yankee Stadium (but not for “the next couple of years”) and Target Field in Minneapolis.
Mar 13, 2014, 1:47 AM EDT
Memorable moment for him.
Mar 13, 2014, 1:32 AM EDT
Two teams separated by 34 points in the standings.
Mar 13, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
Mar 13, 2014, 12:27 AM EDT
There’s a new No. 2 seed in the Central Division.
Mar 12, 2014, 11:52 PM EDT
No call on the play.
Mar 12, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
The climb gets a little steeper.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT
Mar 12, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Mar 12, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Closing in on career-high in points in first season with Edmonton.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:33 PM EDT
In his 36th game of the season.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
This is a beauty.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Hockey’s most historic Original Six rivalry.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:14 PM EDT
Spirited start in Winnipeg.
Mar 12, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
Out with a high ankle sprain since Dec. 21.
Mar 12, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Mar 12, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Had nice weather in Boca, though.
Mar 12, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
“We have numbers, but we’re not ready to give them out.”
Mar 12, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
Still unknown whether he’ll be able to play hockey again.
Mar 12, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
During the first intermission of the Canadiens-Bruins game.
Mar 12, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
Yet another boarding suspension in the NHL.
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 3
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 15
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 31
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)