May 24, 2012, 11:45 AM EDT
According to Damian Cristodero of the St. Petersburg Times, the Lightning have emerged as a frontrunner for the services of Swiss star Damien Brunner.
“I would say Tampa is serious about Damien. I would say Damien is serious about Tampa,” said Brunner’s agent, Neil Sheehy. “I know Damien was very, very impressed with Steve Yzerman. They have met and there’s interest on both sides.”
Brunner, 26, has spent the last four years with Zug of the Swiss-A League, scoring an eye-popping 190 points in his last 168 regular season games. At the recently-completed World Hockey Championships, he led the Swiss team in scoring and was named one of Switzerland’s best players of the tournament as selected by coaches (along with Islanders defenseman Mark Streit.)
Described as a “highly-skilled, fleet-skating” winger, Brunner has been released from his contract with Zug and is therefore eligible to sign with any NHL club. It’s believed the Pittsburgh Penguins are also interested in his services.
Yzerman’s interest in Brunner isn’t surprising. He’s been busy scouting the European prospects (and the WHC) and, last week, told the Tampa Tribune he’s interested in bringing Finnish netminder Riku Helenius back to North America. Helenius, a former first-round pick of the Lightning, has spent the last three years playing overseas.
Sheehy said that Brunner will likely sign with an NHL club prior to the draft.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)