Rick Nash to the Bruins?

May 24, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT

Rick Nash Getty Images

It’s been a while since we had some good Rick Nash gossip on PHT, so here goes:

Joe Haggerty (CSNNE.com) heard from a Blue Jackets blog (The Canon) who heard on Columbus radio (97.1 The Fan) which interviewed Blue Jackets TV play-by-play man (Jeff Rimer) who reported that the Bruins were preparing a big offer for Nash (OMG).

The Bruins could use Nash, especially if they don’t trust Nathan Horton to stay healthy.

Boston could also fit him under the salary cap by sending some current roster players back the other way, or elsewhere.

We’ll assume Tyler Seguin, Tuukka Rask and Patrice Bergeron are off the table. But David Krejci, Tim Thomas and even Milan Lucic are possibilities.

It’s the prospects that could make or break a deal. Would the B’s be willing to part with defenseman Dougie Hamilton? He’d be a tough one to give up (read about him here), but Boston’s not going to get Nash without giving Columbus something significant.

1. mehetmet - May 24, 2012 at 12:02 PM

so you heard, that he heard, that he read, what he heard that he said on the radio? ITs gotta be true man!

• Jason Brough - May 24, 2012 at 12:29 PM

2. mgp1219 - May 24, 2012 at 12:16 PM

PLEASE OH PLEASE!! PLEASE OH PLEASE!! PLEASE OH PLEASE!! PLEASE OH PLEASE!! PLEASE OH PLEASE!! PLEASE OH PLEASE!! PLEASE OH PLEASE!! PLEASE OH PLEASE!! PLEASE OH PLEASE!! PLEASE OH PLEASE!! PLEASE OH PLEASE!! PLEASE OH PLEASE!!

3. lrak76 - May 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM

The Bruins could use Nash…..

Wow, I knew there’d be at least one team out there that could use Nash.

You picked a scrub team like Boston so it makes sense….you know because Florida…Toronto….Edmonton…NYI…..TB…Winnipeg….the real power-house teams definetely don’t need a fourth liner like him.

• kitshky - May 24, 2012 at 1:08 PM

(That being said, please don’t let this happen … I really don’t wanna hate Nash)

• drewsylvania - May 24, 2012 at 1:12 PM

He was being sarcastic.

• kitshky - May 24, 2012 at 1:19 PM

• geezgtfo - May 24, 2012 at 4:15 PM

“Ya I suppose … altho in my defense, sarcasm can be hard enough to detect even when ya don’t structure a comment that badly.” Do not try and defend how dumb you are for not being able to realize what was said was sarcastic. when you wrote your” So… The Bruins are a “scrub team” and Nash is a “fourth liner”. Hmm, always good to hear an unbiased and rational analysis, it’s why I check out the comment section really.” You really thought oh well let me tell this guy how dumb he is but in reality your actually a bigger idiot then you thought of him to be enjoy ur day retard

4. tonyricemajorharris - May 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Cam- don’t do it !!

5. mclovinhockey - May 24, 2012 at 1:11 PM

If Boston gives up Marchand, lucic plus more for Nash I will be so happy. Those two players are my least 2 favorite guys in the league. They are dirty and cheap dbags. Get those two off Boston and Boston’s fan base will go up highly. I know they can both play, but Marchand is a diving and ducking champion while lucic might be lead the league in dirty hits and sucker punches in the past year and a half.

• drewsylvania - May 24, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Uh, Marchand and Lucic are the two biggest draws on the team.

???

• kitshky - May 24, 2012 at 2:55 PM

@mclovinhockey …. whatever you’re drinking you should probably share it with the class, it’s the right thing to do.

6. bcisleman - May 24, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Anything’s possible, but I’d be surprised if CBJ made a deal with the Bs WITHOUT Rask. I’m thinking they want a good YOUNG goaltender as part of the Nash deal. My money’s on Nash to Vancouver with Schneider as part of the compensation.

• amerika1313 - May 24, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Yeah, that might end up being the case, with Kesler thrown in for good measure and maybe a few picks from Canucks to Blue Jackets to balance it out. Doesn’t sound like Kesler and Vigneault are best of pals right about now…

• drewsylvania - May 24, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Bruins won’t be giving up Rask.

7. cowboys282 - May 24, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Sure could have used him last month. No way I give up Hamilton for him. Makes no sense for Columbus to want Thomas.

Is Rask really untouchable? In a perfect world a Krejci, Jared Knight, and a 1st round draft pick would be worth doing. Columbus probably wants more so it probably is not worth it. Throwing is Rask might get it done.

Let’s remember Toronto gave up way to much for one player (Phil Kessel). Hockey is a team game and no one player should be worth to many assets. I would love to have Nash just not at the expense of the future.

• drewsylvania - May 24, 2012 at 3:17 PM

As a Bruins fan, I’d do that deal as well. But no Hamilton and no Rask. The Bruins think he is the next big thing, and I’m inclined to agree.

8. drewsylvania - May 24, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I prefer a deep team to one that is top-heavy, since one big injury can kill the latter. But as long as Hamilton isn’t traded, he’s the defense-depth for 2013.

If they’re going to get Nash, the guys to give up (hopefully enough) would be Krejci, Horton, and Thomas. Rask becomes the #1, Seguin slides into Krejci’s slot.

9. govtminion - May 24, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Part of me is very intrigued.

Part of me remembers the last time a much-hyped player came over in a big trade to the Bruins… now, I’m not saying Nash is like Tomas Kaberle, but… mostly because we can’t AFFORD for him to be like Kaberle.

Grain of salt here. The added offense would be much-welcomed, but I’d like to see what would be given up for him first- and whether or not he works well with what the B’s already have in place- before I get excited.

10. comeonnowguys - May 24, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Thomas would be a good fit. A few hours drive from West Virginia the heart of Anti-Obama.

11. jimw81 - May 24, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I heard flyers will offer a better package for Nash. Flyers have 8 rookies that gain Columbus attention, Bob and jvr.

12. jimw81 - May 24, 2012 at 3:15 PM

That’s why bruins wouldn’t get Nash, jackets want a goalie in this deal. The flyers I think are better putting bob in the deal for Nash and sign biron.

13. mclovinhockey - May 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM

@kitshky (sorry if I spell your name wrong, doing this from a phone) 1) the sarcasm in that comment you first talked about was easily detectable. I am assuming you are a bruins fan. If you can not admit that lucic and Marchand are dirty players you are a homer. Me, I am a huge hockey fan. I study this game like crazy, i am 10 for 13 in predictions this playoffs and this is my worst year for predictions in the past 5. I have predicted 3 of the last 4 cup winners in preseason, it will be 4 for 5 if La wins. Do not take my posts with a grain of salt. They are upfront, unbiased and completely accurate. Those two players give goon a bad name.

• taytay099 - May 24, 2012 at 7:52 PM

When did he say anything about Marchand and Lucic and what makes you think he’s a Bruins fan? If you think including those two in a trade for Nash will make the fanbase in Boston grow then you’re nuts. How can you seriously brag about your hockey knowledge?

“If Boston gives up Marchand, lucic plus more for Nash I will be so happy. Those two players are my least 2 favorite guys in the league. They are dirty and cheap dbags.”

Yup, that comment is 100% “upfront, unbiased and completely accurate.”

• taytay099 - May 24, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Also, Lucic has been the top selling Bruins jersey for the last few seasons.

14. mclovinhockey - May 24, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Well let’s see, most the NHL fans HATE the bruins because they are the dirtiest team in the league. So take away the two biggest dirty players on the team and what do you think will happen?

• taytay099 - May 24, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I’m not sure I understand your point. Why would people outside of the New England area like the Bruins? You’re supposed to hate them. What difference does it make to the Bruins if people in Montreal or LA hate them?

As a Canucks fan I’m not too fond of the Bruins, but I know I would love to have Lucic or Marchand on the Canucks. They know their roles and play them extremely well. They’ve certainly had a history of dirty plays, but they’ll do whatever it takes to win which is what I love to see. The fact that they’re so hated mean’s they’re doing a good job for the Bruins.

15. nicknyhc - May 25, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Good…lets the Bruins drop Lucic to make cap space so the Rangers can pick him up. Guy would fit right in and add scoring and toughness to an already tough team.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches