May 24, 2012, 9:25 PM EDT
Back in 1994, the New York Rangers found themselves were in a very similar position to where they are today. Down 3-2 in the Eastern Conference Finals against the New Jersey Devils, Mark Messier guaranteed that the Rangers would win Game 6. Sure enough, they did and that New York team ended up winning the Stanley Cup.
So, 18 years later, will these Rangers step up and make a such a statement?
“We haven’t really thought about it,” Brad Richards said.
Oh. Well, why not?
“No disrespect to history, but we’re worried about ourselves,” Richards said. “We want to create our own story and that’s what we’re here to do.”
If there’s one thing the Rangers and Devils can agree on, it’s that the 1994 series doesn’t have a bearing on this one.
“I don’t even think about ’94,” Devils coach Peter DeBoer said. “In ’94 I still had hair. It was that long ago. That plays no part in what we’re doing.”
Rangers coach John Tortorella added that the 1994 series “has nothing to do with how we’re preparing.”
In fact, the series was so long ago that the only player on either team that was around for it is Martin Brodeur. At the time, Brodeur just had 51 regular season games under his belt.
“Nobody knew my name back then,” Brodeur said.
So yeah, times have changed and it appears that no one is stepping up to repeat Messier’s guarantee. We’ll have to wait and see if the outcome is different too.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 25
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)