May 24, 2012, 9:25 PM EDT
Back in 1994, the New York Rangers found themselves were in a very similar position to where they are today. Down 3-2 in the Eastern Conference Finals against the New Jersey Devils, Mark Messier guaranteed that the Rangers would win Game 6. Sure enough, they did and that New York team ended up winning the Stanley Cup.
So, 18 years later, will these Rangers step up and make a such a statement?
“We haven’t really thought about it,” Brad Richards said.
Oh. Well, why not?
“No disrespect to history, but we’re worried about ourselves,” Richards said. “We want to create our own story and that’s what we’re here to do.”
If there’s one thing the Rangers and Devils can agree on, it’s that the 1994 series doesn’t have a bearing on this one.
“I don’t even think about ’94,” Devils coach Peter DeBoer said. “In ’94 I still had hair. It was that long ago. That plays no part in what we’re doing.”
Rangers coach John Tortorella added that the 1994 series “has nothing to do with how we’re preparing.”
In fact, the series was so long ago that the only player on either team that was around for it is Martin Brodeur. At the time, Brodeur just had 51 regular season games under his belt.
“Nobody knew my name back then,” Brodeur said.
So yeah, times have changed and it appears that no one is stepping up to repeat Messier’s guarantee. We’ll have to wait and see if the outcome is different too.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 0
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)