May 24, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
The results are hardly groundbreaking, but yet another poll of Canadians on the topic of hockey – (Fun fact: 75% of polls in Canada are hockey-related, 20% involve politics and social issues, and 5% ask respondents if they think Americans are rude.) – shows support for a ban on fighting is directly related to a person’s level of interest in the game.
Chart courtesy the Globe and Mail:
Again, no surprise there. Fighting has always had the strongest support from hardcore fans, not to mention those closely involved in the game (players, coaches, GMs, people with the last name Bettman).
What I’d be curious to know is how many Canadians that dislike hockey would become fans if fighting were banned. My gut says not many.
On a lesser note, I’d like to know why 12% of respondents who dislike hockey were strongly opposed to a ban on fighting. It just seems weird they’d be “strongly” opposed. Maybe they’re worried hooligans would lose interest in hockey and start running around the library spray-painting books all day?
Anyway, the Environics poll also sought opinions about player safety and this year’s playoffs. Full chart here.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 5
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 14
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)