May 24, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
The results are hardly groundbreaking, but yet another poll of Canadians on the topic of hockey – (Fun fact: 75% of polls in Canada are hockey-related, 20% involve politics and social issues, and 5% ask respondents if they think Americans are rude.) – shows support for a ban on fighting is directly related to a person’s level of interest in the game.
Chart courtesy the Globe and Mail:
Again, no surprise there. Fighting has always had the strongest support from hardcore fans, not to mention those closely involved in the game (players, coaches, GMs, people with the last name Bettman).
What I’d be curious to know is how many Canadians that dislike hockey would become fans if fighting were banned. My gut says not many.
On a lesser note, I’d like to know why 12% of respondents who dislike hockey were strongly opposed to a ban on fighting. It just seems weird they’d be “strongly” opposed. Maybe they’re worried hooligans would lose interest in hockey and start running around the library spray-painting books all day?
Anyway, the Environics poll also sought opinions about player safety and this year’s playoffs. Full chart here.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)