May 24, 2012, 6:05 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames are interested in hiring St. Louis Blues president of hockey operations John Davidson, sources tell reporter Andy Strickland.
Strickland writes, “Davidson has deep roots in the Calgary area going back to his junior hockey days, not to mention he broadcasted Flames games prior to his legendary career in New York. He and his wife have family living in the Calgary area and for years have hosted an August charity golf tournament in the city.”
Davidson, however, told the Calgary Sun he hasn’t “had any conversations with the Flames.”
The 59-year-old also told the Sun he feels for current president and CEO Ken King, who rumor has it would shift his focus solely to overseeing the business aspects of Calgary Flames Limited Partnership, which in addition to the NHL club also owns the WHL’s Hitmen, CFL’s Stampeders, and NLL’s Roughnecks.
“I know and respect Ken King and feel terrible how this thing is getting bantered about,” said Davidson.
Maybe it’s nothing but a rumor, but we could see the Flames pursuing Davidson, or someone like him, to head up hockey operations. King made his name in the newspaper business, and that’s been a major point of contention for critics of the club.
Davidson, on the other hand, is a true hockey man.
He also has an out clause of his contract with the Blues.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)