May 24, 2012, 6:05 PM EST
The Calgary Flames are interested in hiring St. Louis Blues president of hockey operations John Davidson, sources tell reporter Andy Strickland.
Strickland writes, “Davidson has deep roots in the Calgary area going back to his junior hockey days, not to mention he broadcasted Flames games prior to his legendary career in New York. He and his wife have family living in the Calgary area and for years have hosted an August charity golf tournament in the city.”
Davidson, however, told the Calgary Sun he hasn’t “had any conversations with the Flames.”
The 59-year-old also told the Sun he feels for current president and CEO Ken King, who rumor has it would shift his focus solely to overseeing the business aspects of Calgary Flames Limited Partnership, which in addition to the NHL club also owns the WHL’s Hitmen, CFL’s Stampeders, and NLL’s Roughnecks.
“I know and respect Ken King and feel terrible how this thing is getting bantered about,” said Davidson.
Maybe it’s nothing but a rumor, but we could see the Flames pursuing Davidson, or someone like him, to head up hockey operations. King made his name in the newspaper business, and that’s been a major point of contention for critics of the club.
Davidson, on the other hand, is a true hockey man.
He also has an out clause of his contract with the Blues.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 54
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)