May 24, 2012, 6:05 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames are interested in hiring St. Louis Blues president of hockey operations John Davidson, sources tell reporter Andy Strickland.
Strickland writes, “Davidson has deep roots in the Calgary area going back to his junior hockey days, not to mention he broadcasted Flames games prior to his legendary career in New York. He and his wife have family living in the Calgary area and for years have hosted an August charity golf tournament in the city.”
Davidson, however, told the Calgary Sun he hasn’t “had any conversations with the Flames.”
The 59-year-old also told the Sun he feels for current president and CEO Ken King, who rumor has it would shift his focus solely to overseeing the business aspects of Calgary Flames Limited Partnership, which in addition to the NHL club also owns the WHL’s Hitmen, CFL’s Stampeders, and NLL’s Roughnecks.
“I know and respect Ken King and feel terrible how this thing is getting bantered about,” said Davidson.
Maybe it’s nothing but a rumor, but we could see the Flames pursuing Davidson, or someone like him, to head up hockey operations. King made his name in the newspaper business, and that’s been a major point of contention for critics of the club.
Davidson, on the other hand, is a true hockey man.
He also has an out clause of his contract with the Blues.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)