May 24, 2012, 6:05 PM EST
The Calgary Flames are interested in hiring St. Louis Blues president of hockey operations John Davidson, sources tell reporter Andy Strickland.
Strickland writes, “Davidson has deep roots in the Calgary area going back to his junior hockey days, not to mention he broadcasted Flames games prior to his legendary career in New York. He and his wife have family living in the Calgary area and for years have hosted an August charity golf tournament in the city.”
Davidson, however, told the Calgary Sun he hasn’t “had any conversations with the Flames.”
The 59-year-old also told the Sun he feels for current president and CEO Ken King, who rumor has it would shift his focus solely to overseeing the business aspects of Calgary Flames Limited Partnership, which in addition to the NHL club also owns the WHL’s Hitmen, CFL’s Stampeders, and NLL’s Roughnecks.
“I know and respect Ken King and feel terrible how this thing is getting bantered about,” said Davidson.
Maybe it’s nothing but a rumor, but we could see the Flames pursuing Davidson, or someone like him, to head up hockey operations. King made his name in the newspaper business, and that’s been a major point of contention for critics of the club.
Davidson, on the other hand, is a true hockey man.
He also has an out clause of his contract with the Blues.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)