May 24, 2012, 6:05 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames are interested in hiring St. Louis Blues president of hockey operations John Davidson, sources tell reporter Andy Strickland.
Strickland writes, “Davidson has deep roots in the Calgary area going back to his junior hockey days, not to mention he broadcasted Flames games prior to his legendary career in New York. He and his wife have family living in the Calgary area and for years have hosted an August charity golf tournament in the city.”
Davidson, however, told the Calgary Sun he hasn’t “had any conversations with the Flames.”
The 59-year-old also told the Sun he feels for current president and CEO Ken King, who rumor has it would shift his focus solely to overseeing the business aspects of Calgary Flames Limited Partnership, which in addition to the NHL club also owns the WHL’s Hitmen, CFL’s Stampeders, and NLL’s Roughnecks.
“I know and respect Ken King and feel terrible how this thing is getting bantered about,” said Davidson.
Maybe it’s nothing but a rumor, but we could see the Flames pursuing Davidson, or someone like him, to head up hockey operations. King made his name in the newspaper business, and that’s been a major point of contention for critics of the club.
Davidson, on the other hand, is a true hockey man.
He also has an out clause of his contract with the Blues.
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 0
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 6
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 27
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)