May 24, 2012, 7:00 PM EST
Glendale city council member Joyce Clark is tired of “Canadian poachers” gunning for the Phoenix Coyotes.
“I will be so pleased when Coyotes issue is settled,” Clark said. “Then all of these Canadian poachers can move on to another team and another city.”
Clark said that they’ve been getting tweets and e-mails from Canadians telling them that the city of Glendale shouldn’t be investing in the Coyotes. She said some of the people contacting them “posed as Arizona residents.”
“It’s sited in a major sports and entertainment district in Glendale and we rely upon the 42 nights of hockey games to help to keep what we call Westgate healthy, so that’s a major reason for supporting keeping the Coyotes in Glendale and in Westgate,” Clark said.
Clark argued that, in order to build new markets, it’s important to “go to where there is no hockey and try to build those markets and that’s exactly what the NHL is doing.”
The Phoenix Coyotes went all the way to the Western Conference Finals before finally being eliminated by the Los Angeles Kings. They have been an on-ice success over the past three years, but are still working to get an owner.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 48
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (137)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)