May 24, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
Glendale city council member Joyce Clark is tired of “Canadian poachers” gunning for the Phoenix Coyotes.
“I will be so pleased when Coyotes issue is settled,” Clark said. “Then all of these Canadian poachers can move on to another team and another city.”
Clark said that they’ve been getting tweets and e-mails from Canadians telling them that the city of Glendale shouldn’t be investing in the Coyotes. She said some of the people contacting them “posed as Arizona residents.”
“It’s sited in a major sports and entertainment district in Glendale and we rely upon the 42 nights of hockey games to help to keep what we call Westgate healthy, so that’s a major reason for supporting keeping the Coyotes in Glendale and in Westgate,” Clark said.
Clark argued that, in order to build new markets, it’s important to “go to where there is no hockey and try to build those markets and that’s exactly what the NHL is doing.”
The Phoenix Coyotes went all the way to the Western Conference Finals before finally being eliminated by the Los Angeles Kings. They have been an on-ice success over the past three years, but are still working to get an owner.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 45
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)