May 24, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
Glendale city council member Joyce Clark is tired of “Canadian poachers” gunning for the Phoenix Coyotes.
“I will be so pleased when Coyotes issue is settled,” Clark said. “Then all of these Canadian poachers can move on to another team and another city.”
Clark said that they’ve been getting tweets and e-mails from Canadians telling them that the city of Glendale shouldn’t be investing in the Coyotes. She said some of the people contacting them “posed as Arizona residents.”
“It’s sited in a major sports and entertainment district in Glendale and we rely upon the 42 nights of hockey games to help to keep what we call Westgate healthy, so that’s a major reason for supporting keeping the Coyotes in Glendale and in Westgate,” Clark said.
Clark argued that, in order to build new markets, it’s important to “go to where there is no hockey and try to build those markets and that’s exactly what the NHL is doing.”
The Phoenix Coyotes went all the way to the Western Conference Finals before finally being eliminated by the Los Angeles Kings. They have been an on-ice success over the past three years, but are still working to get an owner.
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 4
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 57
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 40
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 12
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 45
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)