May 24, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
Glendale city council member Joyce Clark is tired of “Canadian poachers” gunning for the Phoenix Coyotes.
“I will be so pleased when Coyotes issue is settled,” Clark said. “Then all of these Canadian poachers can move on to another team and another city.”
Clark said that they’ve been getting tweets and e-mails from Canadians telling them that the city of Glendale shouldn’t be investing in the Coyotes. She said some of the people contacting them “posed as Arizona residents.”
“It’s sited in a major sports and entertainment district in Glendale and we rely upon the 42 nights of hockey games to help to keep what we call Westgate healthy, so that’s a major reason for supporting keeping the Coyotes in Glendale and in Westgate,” Clark said.
Clark argued that, in order to build new markets, it’s important to “go to where there is no hockey and try to build those markets and that’s exactly what the NHL is doing.”
The Phoenix Coyotes went all the way to the Western Conference Finals before finally being eliminated by the Los Angeles Kings. They have been an on-ice success over the past three years, but are still working to get an owner.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)