May 24, 2012, 5:18 PM EDT
By now, you’ve probably all seen footage of the Phoenix Coyotes — most notably Martin Hanzal and Shane Doan — going after Kings captain Dustin Brown in the handshake line following Game 5 of the Western Conference finals.
If you’ve haven’t seen it, FF to the 1:20 mark…
Brown declined to comment on what was said, but you can assume Hanzal and Doan weren’t asking him if he knew a fourth for golf this summer.
Question: Were you surprised at some of the stuff that was done in the handshake line?
PENNER: “Yeah, I’ve never seen that before. I got chirped in line too, for my headlock I put on Vermette in Game 2. He wanted to rehash that. I was a little surprised.’’
Question: What did you say? Did you just keep going?
PENNER: “I was really surprised. `I don’t have time to talk, right now, about this. I’ve got a flight to catch.’’’
Question: He didn’t send you a BBM or anything?
PENNER: “We didn’t exchange PIN numbers.’’
The NHL.com video feed actually caught the Vermette-Penner exchange (FF to :20)
The conversation looks short, but animated (at least from Vermette’s side of things.)
As for the convo with Hammond — my guess is Penner realized he’d said too much and quickly bailed. I also like to think he used the “pretend phone is cutting out by making bunch of crackly static noises” move.
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 7
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 16
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 37
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 20
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)