May 24, 2012, 5:18 PM EDT
By now, you’ve probably all seen footage of the Phoenix Coyotes — most notably Martin Hanzal and Shane Doan — going after Kings captain Dustin Brown in the handshake line following Game 5 of the Western Conference finals.
If you’ve haven’t seen it, FF to the 1:20 mark…
Brown declined to comment on what was said, but you can assume Hanzal and Doan weren’t asking him if he knew a fourth for golf this summer.
Question: Were you surprised at some of the stuff that was done in the handshake line?
PENNER: “Yeah, I’ve never seen that before. I got chirped in line too, for my headlock I put on Vermette in Game 2. He wanted to rehash that. I was a little surprised.’’
Question: What did you say? Did you just keep going?
PENNER: “I was really surprised. `I don’t have time to talk, right now, about this. I’ve got a flight to catch.’’’
Question: He didn’t send you a BBM or anything?
PENNER: “We didn’t exchange PIN numbers.’’
The NHL.com video feed actually caught the Vermette-Penner exchange (FF to :20)
The conversation looks short, but animated (at least from Vermette’s side of things.)
As for the convo with Hammond — my guess is Penner realized he’d said too much and quickly bailed. I also like to think he used the “pretend phone is cutting out by making bunch of crackly static noises” move.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39