May 24, 2012, 5:18 PM EDT
By now, you’ve probably all seen footage of the Phoenix Coyotes — most notably Martin Hanzal and Shane Doan — going after Kings captain Dustin Brown in the handshake line following Game 5 of the Western Conference finals.
If you’ve haven’t seen it, FF to the 1:20 mark…
Brown declined to comment on what was said, but you can assume Hanzal and Doan weren’t asking him if he knew a fourth for golf this summer.
Question: Were you surprised at some of the stuff that was done in the handshake line?
PENNER: “Yeah, I’ve never seen that before. I got chirped in line too, for my headlock I put on Vermette in Game 2. He wanted to rehash that. I was a little surprised.’’
Question: What did you say? Did you just keep going?
PENNER: “I was really surprised. `I don’t have time to talk, right now, about this. I’ve got a flight to catch.’’’
Question: He didn’t send you a BBM or anything?
PENNER: “We didn’t exchange PIN numbers.’’
The NHL.com video feed actually caught the Vermette-Penner exchange (FF to :20)
The conversation looks short, but animated (at least from Vermette’s side of things.)
As for the convo with Hammond — my guess is Penner realized he’d said too much and quickly bailed. I also like to think he used the “pretend phone is cutting out by making bunch of crackly static noises” move.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 4
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 6
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39