May 24, 2012, 5:18 PM EDT
By now, you’ve probably all seen footage of the Phoenix Coyotes — most notably Martin Hanzal and Shane Doan — going after Kings captain Dustin Brown in the handshake line following Game 5 of the Western Conference finals.
If you’ve haven’t seen it, FF to the 1:20 mark…
Brown declined to comment on what was said, but you can assume Hanzal and Doan weren’t asking him if he knew a fourth for golf this summer.
Question: Were you surprised at some of the stuff that was done in the handshake line?
PENNER: “Yeah, I’ve never seen that before. I got chirped in line too, for my headlock I put on Vermette in Game 2. He wanted to rehash that. I was a little surprised.’’
Question: What did you say? Did you just keep going?
PENNER: “I was really surprised. `I don’t have time to talk, right now, about this. I’ve got a flight to catch.’’’
Question: He didn’t send you a BBM or anything?
PENNER: “We didn’t exchange PIN numbers.’’
The NHL.com video feed actually caught the Vermette-Penner exchange (FF to :20)
The conversation looks short, but animated (at least from Vermette’s side of things.)
As for the convo with Hammond — my guess is Penner realized he’d said too much and quickly bailed. I also like to think he used the “pretend phone is cutting out by making bunch of crackly static noises” move.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)