May 24, 2012, 8:04 AM EDT
New Jersey has now won two contests in a row, but their Game 5 victory wasn’t exactly pretty. They got off to a 3-0 lead, but coughed it up before adding two late goals for a 5-3 win. Devils coach Pete DeBoer put the best spin on it possible.
“I thought we found a way to weather the storm and we hung with it,” DeBoer said, “and we felt that if we could get back on the forecheck we could create some more offense. And the goal was a forecheck goal. Kovalchuk goes in, eliminates the defensemen. Gionta scoops up the puck and makes a play. And our depth guys were outstanding tonight.”
Surrendering a 3-0 lead, even in a game you eventually win, isn’t typically a big confidence booster, but in the playoffs, there’s no such thing as a bad victory. New Jersey now has a 3-2 series lead going into Game 6 in New Jersey.
“I think we’ll be good. We’re at home in front of our home crowd,” DeBoer said of Game 6. “I think we worked awful hard to have this opportunity. I’m confident we’re going to throw a good game out there.”
The Rangers have already played in three games where they’ve faced elimination in their 2012 playoff run. We’ll see if they have another win in them.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)