May 23, 2012, 5:53 PM EDT
By my count, that’s 27 seconds of concurrent cursing and stick slamming after being tagged with an interference penalty. There’s also at least two cut-off/interception moves by linesman Jay Sharrers (and one halfhearted effort by fellow Kings defenseman Rob Scuderi).
To be fair, Doughty sounded pretty remorseful after the game.
“Obviously, the ref’s going to make the call how he sees it,” he told the Globe and Mail. “Obviously, he sees it differently than I did. But you just get so upset because you don’t want to be that guy that took the penalty in overtime to force a Game 6. I definitely didn’t want to be that guy and I didn’t like that call.
“Sometimes, you just lose it and you can’t control it. I really wish I hadn’t done that. I want to apologize to the refs but … I was upset.”
For what it’s worth, this was Pollock’s first real bout of adversity in a relatively controversy-free postseason. His most notable incident prior to this was not whistling New York’s Brandon Prust on an elbow to New Jersey’s Anton Volchenkov, a play that netted Prust a one-game suspension.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)