May 23, 2012, 9:48 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils currently hold a 3-2 lead in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals, but the New York Rangers are very much in the game after falling behind 3-0. If New York manages to win – particularly by a goal – then Ryan Callahan‘s controversial early second period tally will be quite controversial. Take a look at the replay yourself to decide if it was – to quote the official – “a good hockey goal.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
NHL.com’s Situation Room blog provides the following explanation for why the goal was allowed.
At 0:32 of the second period in the Rangers/Devils game, video review upheld the referee’s call on the ice that Artem Anisimov‘s cross-ice pass deflected off Ryan Callahan’s leg and into the Devils’ net. According to rule 78.4 “if an attacking player has the puck deflect into the net, off his skate or body, in any manner, the goal shall be allowed.” Good Goal New York.
Do you agree or disagree with that interpretation?
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 7
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 11
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)