May 23, 2012, 9:48 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils currently hold a 3-2 lead in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals, but the New York Rangers are very much in the game after falling behind 3-0. If New York manages to win – particularly by a goal – then Ryan Callahan‘s controversial early second period tally will be quite controversial. Take a look at the replay yourself to decide if it was – to quote the official – “a good hockey goal.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
NHL.com’s Situation Room blog provides the following explanation for why the goal was allowed.
At 0:32 of the second period in the Rangers/Devils game, video review upheld the referee’s call on the ice that Artem Anisimov‘s cross-ice pass deflected off Ryan Callahan’s leg and into the Devils’ net. According to rule 78.4 “if an attacking player has the puck deflect into the net, off his skate or body, in any manner, the goal shall be allowed.” Good Goal New York.
Do you agree or disagree with that interpretation?
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 6
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 14
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 56
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)