May 23, 2012, 2:11 AM EDT
Phoenix Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett let loose a bit about officiating after a Game 3 loss, but he seemed to be the voice of reason after a stunning 4-3 OT loss in Game 5. Camera caught him attempting to calm down captain Shane Doan before the handshakes commenced and he was diplomatic during the post-game press conference too.
“[Complaining about calls is] not going to do any good right now. It is what it is,” Tippett said. “Ultimately, the last two games were our best games, but they were too late. L.A. beat us. That’s what should be remembered, not the refereeing.”
Tippett essentially agreed with the sentiment that the Coyotes began to play their best hockey too late in the series. Getting booted out of the postseason in that fashion might be on par with the stanchion-assisted shock the 2011 San Jose Sharks felt in last year’s Western Conference finals, but Tippett deserves credit for keeping his cool.
Perhaps he believes that there will be a “next time” for his team.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (85)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)