May 23, 2012, 2:11 AM EST
Phoenix Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett let loose a bit about officiating after a Game 3 loss, but he seemed to be the voice of reason after a stunning 4-3 OT loss in Game 5. Camera caught him attempting to calm down captain Shane Doan before the handshakes commenced and he was diplomatic during the post-game press conference too.
“[Complaining about calls is] not going to do any good right now. It is what it is,” Tippett said. “Ultimately, the last two games were our best games, but they were too late. L.A. beat us. That’s what should be remembered, not the refereeing.”
Tippett essentially agreed with the sentiment that the Coyotes began to play their best hockey too late in the series. Getting booted out of the postseason in that fashion might be on par with the stanchion-assisted shock the 2011 San Jose Sharks felt in last year’s Western Conference finals, but Tippett deserves credit for keeping his cool.
Perhaps he believes that there will be a “next time” for his team.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)