May 23, 2012, 10:21 AM EST
We know Coyotes fans are bummed out pretty bad about seeing their team knocked out of the playoffs in five games by the Kings, but there was some good news last night.
Round about the same time the Coyotes’ season was coming to an end, the City of Glendale passed a preliminary budget approving $17 million to be set aside to pay prospective owner Greg Jamison to operate Jobing.com Arena. This is the first of three meetings the city will have discussing the budget, but this first step is an important one to show Jamison they’re serious about ponying up to help keep the Coyotes in Arizona.
As you know by now, the NHL reached a tentative agreement with Jamison to buy the Coyotes but there a lot of particulars left to iron out and the lease agreement on the arena is one of the biggest. Should the final budget be approved to pay out the $17 million, the chances Jamison will wind up buying the team and keeping them in Glendale jump dramatically.
A Coyotes season ending in disappointing yet positive fashion but with optimism? That’s a turn for the best.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (68)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)