May 23, 2012, 10:21 AM EDT
We know Coyotes fans are bummed out pretty bad about seeing their team knocked out of the playoffs in five games by the Kings, but there was some good news last night.
Round about the same time the Coyotes’ season was coming to an end, the City of Glendale passed a preliminary budget approving $17 million to be set aside to pay prospective owner Greg Jamison to operate Jobing.com Arena. This is the first of three meetings the city will have discussing the budget, but this first step is an important one to show Jamison they’re serious about ponying up to help keep the Coyotes in Arizona.
As you know by now, the NHL reached a tentative agreement with Jamison to buy the Coyotes but there a lot of particulars left to iron out and the lease agreement on the arena is one of the biggest. Should the final budget be approved to pay out the $17 million, the chances Jamison will wind up buying the team and keeping them in Glendale jump dramatically.
A Coyotes season ending in disappointing yet positive fashion but with optimism? That’s a turn for the best.
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Eastern Conference Final Game 6 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 25
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)