May 23, 2012, 10:21 AM EST
We know Coyotes fans are bummed out pretty bad about seeing their team knocked out of the playoffs in five games by the Kings, but there was some good news last night.
Round about the same time the Coyotes’ season was coming to an end, the City of Glendale passed a preliminary budget approving $17 million to be set aside to pay prospective owner Greg Jamison to operate Jobing.com Arena. This is the first of three meetings the city will have discussing the budget, but this first step is an important one to show Jamison they’re serious about ponying up to help keep the Coyotes in Arizona.
As you know by now, the NHL reached a tentative agreement with Jamison to buy the Coyotes but there a lot of particulars left to iron out and the lease agreement on the arena is one of the biggest. Should the final budget be approved to pay out the $17 million, the chances Jamison will wind up buying the team and keeping them in Glendale jump dramatically.
A Coyotes season ending in disappointing yet positive fashion but with optimism? That’s a turn for the best.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)