May 23, 2012, 10:21 AM EDT
We know Coyotes fans are bummed out pretty bad about seeing their team knocked out of the playoffs in five games by the Kings, but there was some good news last night.
Round about the same time the Coyotes’ season was coming to an end, the City of Glendale passed a preliminary budget approving $17 million to be set aside to pay prospective owner Greg Jamison to operate Jobing.com Arena. This is the first of three meetings the city will have discussing the budget, but this first step is an important one to show Jamison they’re serious about ponying up to help keep the Coyotes in Arizona.
As you know by now, the NHL reached a tentative agreement with Jamison to buy the Coyotes but there a lot of particulars left to iron out and the lease agreement on the arena is one of the biggest. Should the final budget be approved to pay out the $17 million, the chances Jamison will wind up buying the team and keeping them in Glendale jump dramatically.
A Coyotes season ending in disappointing yet positive fashion but with optimism? That’s a turn for the best.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)