Smith on Brown: “If Raffi Torres gets 25 games then he ought to be out forever”

May 23, 2012, 1:32 AM EDT

kneesmith Getty Images

If you gauge the angriest Phoenix Coyotes by the shots of the explosively awkward handshake line following the Los Angeles Kings’ 4-3 OT win, you’d think Shane Doan was the angriest. Maybe that’s true, but star goalie Mike Smith arguably expressed his anger regarding Dustin Brown‘s hit on Michal Rozsival in the most bombastic way, as Mark McClune reports.

“If Raffi Torres gets 25 games for his hit during the play then this guy (Brown) ought to be done forever,” Smith said.

Is that hyperbole or just the truth?

Either way, it’s a testament to why reporters should always have access to players and coaches shortly after games. For all the times when people sing cliche lullabies, there are those moments when someone like Smith unleashes his honest rage.

It’s probably safe to say that Brown won’t essentially get banned from the Stanley Cup finals, but check out this post to share your thoughts on what – if any – kind of punishment he deserves for that controversial hit.

(For what it’s worth, Dave Tippett kept his cool on the subject, simply saying “write what you saw.”)

1. hockeyflow33 - May 23, 2012 at 1:36 AM

There aren’t many goalies in the league I despise but after watching Smith’s despicable reactions in the post-season, he’s added to that list. I’m curious where he thinks his slash to Richards mid-section after the game winner ranks in comparison to half the garbage he complained about.

Watching him yell at the officials when he clearly has no grasp of the rulebook just exemplified his arrogant and entitled attitude.

I had no problem with his chop on Brown earlier in the series either.

• bethgoesglobal - May 23, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Say what you like but in general, the most despised goalies are frequently some of the most effective; remember Barasso, Hextal for example.
      (not that I’m trying to make excuses for Smith- just saying)

• hockeyflow33 - May 23, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I hear you, I just don’t think that skating after the ref and screaming in his face for a wrong rule interpretation is going to help you with any debatable whistles.

He was also an idiot when, after he was bowled into, instead of tracking the puck to the wide open point, he focused on punching whoever it was that crashed into him. There’s no reason an NHL goalie needs to take a penalty when he has ample opportunity for retribution within the game.

• killerpooh - May 23, 2012 at 2:20 AM

In all fairness, Smith is hot headed (think a super nova star) and was venting his frustration. I’m sure he’ll distance himself from his remarks tomorrow.

On the other hand, he does need to take slashing lessons. He completely missed M. Richards stomach just after the series winning goal ..

• supr49er - May 23, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I didn’t know that Doughty was such a hot head either.
        They both looked ridiculous.

• callemlikeiseeem - May 23, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Clearly, Smith is a good goalie. A much better actor when touched, loved the theatrics when he and Shaw clicked headgear in the first round and he threw his gloves up and fell like he took a gunshot to the chest. Comparing Torres’ hit to Brown’s is comical. The Coyotes were graced with multiple non calls and terrible calls the other way leading up to the last couple games. I was impressed by how much they cleaned up thier act in the last couple games. Really makes one wonder exactly what information is passed from the league to the teams off the record.

2. dsd3 - May 23, 2012 at 1:37 AM

HAHAHA. Mike Smith, this is pretty rich, coming from you. By your standards, I guess you’d be permanently banned from the NHL for your little slashing tendencies.

Seriously, what a ludicrous comment.

3. qauzaq - May 23, 2012 at 1:40 AM

All I can do is laugh at this guy. What a joke.

4. charliereno - May 23, 2012 at 1:40 AM

This is absolutely laughable. Smith is the same guy that went to such disgusting lengths to put on a show when Andrew Shaw made contact with him, one that only the National Enquirer would reward as ‘legitimate’. Now he says that Dustin Brown’s knee to the nuts on Rozy (who tried to take a dive to draw a penalty minutes earlier) is worse than the blatant cheap shot his teammate made to knock Hossa out of the playoffs? Delusion is at an all time high in Phoenix. That’s probably why they actually think that their franchise is staying put.

5. shutyourfivehole - May 23, 2012 at 1:40 AM

@hockeyflow33 beat me to it; I agree with all except the last. I think that was a really punk chop, even if it was to Brown. And what a diver Smith is too..

• dsd3 - May 23, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Yeah, Smith’s diving is one of the more ridiculous things I’ve seen in this postseason.

6. 1trojanlove - May 23, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Pot calling the kettle black is on line 1…. ?Shut up…!

7. fruitsareedible - May 23, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Why not forever plus 1 game, Mike? That’ll really learn him.

8. fhuizar - May 23, 2012 at 1:53 AM

The Yotes are sore losers

And so are their fans, throwing trash on the ice. SORE LOSERS!

Go Kings Go!! Lord Stanley awaits!!

9. dannymac17 - May 23, 2012 at 1:55 AM

all his comments were frustration, he will back away from those comments tomorrow.

go kings.

10. dadof2bs - May 23, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Smith is the biggest flop artist and poor sport of any NHL goalie in the sport.

11. bigwhackman - May 23, 2012 at 3:46 AM

What a croc. This is the same guy who crushed Brown with a wicked alas

12. bigwhackman - May 23, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Smith is a hot head who tried to take Dustin Brown out of the series in game 2 with a wicked slash to the back of his knees. He should not be allowed to open his mouth whatsoever. You lost Mr Smith, take it like a man, not a 12 year old girl.

13. charlutes - May 23, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Yes, because what would we do without mike smith’s sour grapes. thank god for the media…

14. tackledummy1505 - May 23, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Who cares, it’s Shanahan making the decision and we all know this will be some type of circus act joke of a ruling. Another explanation that will not make any sense but he will feel smarter for making the decision

15. nhlobsessed - May 23, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I’m sorry that Rosival got injured, but there is NO WAY that this hit even compares to the hit on Marian Hossa! Watching the hit, it just looks like it was an unfortunate outcome. I don’t see any intent by Dustin Brown to make that sort of hit or to knee the guy. But Raffi Torres… He is a known head hunter and deserves those 25 games. Not just for what he did to Hossa, but because he can’t seem to get the message that he needs to clean up his game (how many times has he been suspended for hits to the head and continues not to learn/change anything!?!?!)

As for one Mr. Mike Smith. I also am among those hockey enthusiasts who really dislikes Mike Smith. I don’t even respect the guy, and there are plenty of players in the league that I’d say I dislike, but still respect! Smith is a punk, a tool, and a cry-baby.

• gohawksgo2012 - May 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Agree….Rozsival just had to be helped off the ice, not rolled off the ice on a stretcher, like Hossa, who is still recovering, and will be for a long time, from a severe concussion. By getting Hossa out of the Hawks line-up probably was the only way the Coyotes beat the Hawks (along with a lot of luck!).

Also, Smith won’t win the Stanley Cup, but one award he deserves is an Oscar for his great acting job when Andrew Shaw barely touched him and he was flopping and diving all over the ice!!!

16. dlk75150 - May 23, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I wanted the kings to win until I read all this crap. I am not a fan of either team and that was a cheap shot that brown did. Dirty player

• divanovic - May 25, 2012 at 4:37 AM

Wake up… watch the replay… dumbass!

17. comeonnowguys - May 23, 2012 at 9:44 AM

A skater runs at Jonathan Quick and flies over his head? He plays on like a pro.

A skater gets caught in a scrum in front of Mike Smith’s crease? Smith takes two swings at him.

This clearly proves that they think Torres’ hit is just a “hockey play.” The difference is
    Torres has a lengthy history of the exact same kind of dirty hit and is officially in the Matt Cooke phase of “straighten up, or else.”

Brown didn’t lead with the knee and tried to initiate contact up high. I wouldn’t have argued with two, but this is not at all the worst we’ve seen this postseason.

But these Coyotes…

Hanzal tried to sell a high stick, Michal Rozsival clearly and shamelessly dove, and Mike Smith… lol. Maybe the West has a new villain. I mean, at least Vancouver doesn’t gum up a game to a snoozefest.

Oh wait, that would require lightning to strike twice and Phoenix to have a run like this again. Nevermind.

18. dsg1616 - May 23, 2012 at 9:45 AM

he’s a mouth breathing tool. i’ve seen the same temper tantrums at my kids peewee games.

19. sjsharks66 - May 23, 2012 at 9:51 AM

As a sharks fan I can’t really say I wanted the kings to advance to the finals. (nothing against the players or fans, I just don’t want to be the only California team without a cup.)
    But the way Phoenix conducted themselves in this series was pathetic and I found myself cheering for the kings!
    Throwing things on the ice when you lose, Doan and Hanzal having the nerve to tell brown how he is dirty, when Hanzal had boarded Brown a week before. The way every Phoenix player, including smith were chasing the officials around yelling at them when they lost.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Phoenix Coyotes should be in Quebec rite now. The “fans” are lucky their team is staying in Phoenix. But the way they acted was childish and it shows you how most of them are bandwagon fans. Can’t accept a loss.

• comeonnowguys - May 23, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Everyone will learn their lesson this time next year when the Coyotes are again 29th or 30th in regular-season attendance.

20. lewdood - May 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I hope Smith knows how to whine and complain in French. He’ll need a decent command of the language next year when he’s playing in Quebec.

21. dylanesq - May 23, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Stanley Cup hockey is a complete farce !!! The words bogus and dishonest come to mind.

Consider this : During the regular season many of the actions of teams that play in the Stanley Cup games would be called as fouls. However, as commentators sometimes mention, as one did the other night, ‘ the refs are letting them play on and I like that’.

Think about what he is saying. He is basically saying that the referees are letting pass what would normally be classified as fouls requiring, at a minimum, time penalties, but often expulsion and games out.This means that it is the referess that are choosing to decide what is a foul and what is not.

It is my contention that it does not matter when in the season a foul is committed and that referees are bound by the rule book and have to let the players decide what they will risk but that the threshold remains constant in the regular season or in the playoffs and final. No ifs, ands or buts.

Otherwise the process is rife with danger and inequalities. Do the refs keep tabs on how many fouls they let pass from each team and the severity of those fouls. No they do not. This could not happen in any other sport which leaves the NHL in the hands of business and fairness be damned.

Thius

• comeonnowguys - May 23, 2012 at 10:36 AM

You’re either completely ignorant of the past 30 years and the NBA (Tim Donagy), or you’re a Coyote fan.

Whichever it is, get over it.

• lewdood - May 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Fouls? First time watching hockey, huh? Allow me to introduce you to some of the terminology: “penalties” are called in hockey. “Fouls” are called in basketball.

And in the NHL playoffs (unlike the NBA), “penalties” are not usually called as stringently as they are during the regular season. It’s tougher, grittier and often much more punishing. One of the many reasons why winning 16 games in the Stanley Cup Playoffs is so difficult.

• loufilliger - May 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Yeah I’m still trying to get my wife to stop asking how many points the Kings have, whether it’s halftime yet, and which team is in the red costumes.

• Islangers - May 23, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I’m with you, dylan; very poetic. I’ve voiced the same gospel for years, that when the officiating does not follow the rulebook exactly, the players become resentful of an unpunished foul. (Yes, i said ‘foul’ because that’s what it is.) When the player doesn’t get the call that he should, he thinks he can get away with more too. The other players all get the message that the rules are reduced to guidelines. At some point, as the risks escalate, inching ever closer to the line, a penalty does get called, as the refs try to reel it back in. The players then have no idea where the arbitrarily set line is. This is why dirty hits and liberties snowball, leaving anarchy on the ice.

At ANY time of the year, regular season or deep into the playoffs, i firmly believe that every call should be made. I have even opined that there should be more off-ice officials: one to watch each player on the ice, and one for each bench. Let’s clamp down on the funny business, so everyone plays by the rules. There are some players, even some teams, who are very talented at stepping over the line without (usually) getting caught. I’m not saying i agree with all the rules; there are some I’d like to see added, and some that I’d like to see eliminated. But that’s another topic.

The game of hockey is the best, fastest, most exciting game in the world. It doesn’t need any extracurricular activities. Play by the book, and the result is fewer infractions, less resentment, and the purity of a great game.

22. oside760 - May 23, 2012 at 10:21 AM

hahahahah mike smith is a loser. lol. get over it. hahahahaha GO KINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. hrudey - May 23, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I think Smith was just mad because he thought Rozsival got more of Brown’s knee than Smith’s slash did.

24. 1337ryan - May 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM

He’s sounding like a Penguin.

25. malkinrulez - May 23, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Find it amusing kings fans are talking about tantrums when Doughty should have been fit for a straight jacket twice last night. That being said kings win the cup this year and Doughty is a great d man

• loufilliger - May 23, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I’m a Kings fan and agree that Doughty was out of control last night. Refs used a lot of restraint not to give him a game misconduct.

On the other hand, I don’t put yelling at the refs in the same category with taking cheap shots at other players like Smith does. After watching Doughty for these last few years night in night out I can assure you he’s nothing at all like Smith, who’s an embarrassment to himself and to the league.

26. acieu - May 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Phuck Phoenix

27. drewsylvania - May 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Three things:

1) Clean hit.
    2) Rozsival basically kneed himself.
    3) Smith is an idiot.

And I’m rooting for Phoenix.

• loufilliger - May 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM

You forgot: 4) Mike Milbury is a nimrod.

Otherwise 100% agree.

• gohawksgo2012 - May 23, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Right…. Milbury is a real airhead, and J.R. was totally right on his comments…. you can’t stop in a split second, just because the whistle blew! Milbury, a very dirty player, should know that.

28. drhiii - May 23, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Anyone know how Rosival is doing? That is my first question. First thought.

That was a potentially career ending shot by Brown.

These things have a way of coming back. Am just saying, they do. Brown will reap this somehow. Perhaps not from the league. Certainly not from his team. Exacted by other teams down the road?? Who knows.

Players need to protect themselves. Not sure how Rosival could have done that because things happen unbelievably fast and every one of us is sitting in front of a TV set and not there. Still, my first response, then replay responses were Brown was running at him. Anyone recall where the puck was at that moment? Everyone is too involved with the placement of the hit. It was whistled offsides, again, in NHL speed terms fast enough to pull back? Perhaps. I consider it a cheap shot. Yeah, he made contact at the shoulder, and body, but Brown’s knee was out enough to cause me to react. I remember Ovechkin, must have been three years ago, lining up a Penguin with almost exactly the same kind of timing. Opposite player head was down, play was whistled, Ovechkin caught him coming out from behind the net at full speed, and his knee was just “that’ much cocked to catch the player.
    I remember the Caps won the game and the series, and seeing Ovechkin try and say during the handshake line he did not intend to injure. But he did. The player as I recall was badly hurt. And I said at that moment Ovechkin would pay for that kind of dirty play over and over. And he has.

I was a Kings fan. Until the bombasts from Brown, Doughty, and crew. It was a messy game all around. And no matter what anyone says Brown’s knee had intent and it was dirty. I am now rooting for my nephew’s Junior Hockey team, my college alma mater, and whatever eastern team comes out of the east. And I do not have to wish ill will for Brown. He brought that on to himself and however it wills out, it will. If it be this playoffs or down the road. It will. He is now poison. I do not have these predictions often but when I do, I have never been wrong.

ex Kings fan

• ultrab6 - May 23, 2012 at 8:34 PM

You are an idiot! What video replay did you watch? Brown clearly had no intent to injure. And the whistle blew a fraction of a second before they hit. No way could he have stopped in time. And if you’re so concerned about the opposing player, why can’t you learn to spell his name correctly? Its Michal Rozsival by the way. I for one am glad you are no longer a fan. So, go root for who ever you want. I’m sure the Kings will be just fine without pansy ass whiners like you. Oh, and also, screw your predictions nostradumbass.

• cac0277 - May 24, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Couple of things here super fan. First, watch the video of the picture when contact was made. Now tell me who’s knee is out more Browns or Rozsivals? Rozsivals knee is stretched out away from his body and Brown in right in his skate tracks. Period. If you don’t care enough about your own knee that you hang it out there like that when taking the puck through THE MIDDLE of the DEFENSES BLUE LINE knowing thats where guys get crushed, then I fail to see how it is someone else’s responsibility to do it for him. Second, do you see the last second deek Rozsival makes, making the check on the side of his body the the center? Brown isn’t responsible for that either. And third, if you want to play the whistle game, I challenge you to que it up on you tube or your DVR. Then run the play and hit pause the second you hear the whistle. You will see Brown is already half way into the check. Then run it back and hit pause the second Brown makes contact with Rozsival. You will notice that Brown is in his check and you haven’t heard the whistle. You may not like the hit or find it dirty, but this is the playoffs and it was within the rules. It is a game changer hit, just like his check on Sundin. Things change with hits like that and like it or not, it is a players and defiantly the Captains job to do it. That’s why it didn’t get a penality or warrant a review from the NHL.

• divanovic - May 25, 2012 at 4:26 AM

My… don’t know who’se worse, Mike Smith or you!

From my post a bit earlier:

1. The hit happened as the whistle went… thus, not a late hit
      2. Brown didn’t lift his knee to purposefully create an impact with it. There was upper body contact, he actually leaned in with his shoulder as well. He stayed his line and finished the check… thus, no foul hit.
      3. If you can’t play this kind of sport without whining over hard hits then go and play bowls or badminton… thus, quit being a panzy and man up!

You can’t buy common sense… good luck out there son.

29. xaf605 - May 23, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Ha ha mike smith what a joke look in the mirror and then make those comments you are a joke and so is the entire coyotes organization you are a sore loser and the entire coyote fan base oh that’s right coyotes didn’t have any fans til they went to playoffs this year!

30. 1971titan - May 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Would Mike Smith like some cheese with his Whine? First thing they teach in youth hockey, “keep your head up”. Browns hit was clean upper body and lower body contact. Phoenix has no class, I thought Dave Tippet was terrible in the post game interviews. He never gives any credit to the Kings for tearing his team apart, just whines about how they didn’t play well enough. The White Out thing is pretty lame also.

31. divanovic - May 25, 2012 at 4:20 AM

Dear Mike,

Before you go and make a fool of yourself watch the tape and THEN make up your mind. Don’t go and say something stupid in an emotional moment that you’re gonna justifiably feel stupid about later.

1. The hit happened as the whistle went… thus, not a late hit