Kevin Lowe isn’t saying Sutter wants the Oilers job, he just doesn’t see why Sutter wouldn’t want the Oilers job
May 23, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
To talk about hiring a coach that’s still under contract is a NHL no-no. So full marks to Oilers president Kevin Lowe, who artfully discussed Brent Sutter’s interest in Edmonton’s head coaching gig — without really discussing Brent Sutter’s interest in Edmonton’s head coaching gig.
‘I don’t see why he wouldn’t want to coach the Oilers,” Lowe told Bill Beacon of the Canadian Press. “Brent’s been a good coach. We’ve seen him recently. He’s Albertan. He knows the Battle of Alberta well.”
Technically speaking, Sutter is still property of the Calgary Flames — even though Calgary GM Jay Feaster already conducted Sutter’s farewell cake-cutting ceremony. This means Sutter is still off-limits for discussion, even though all signs point to the Oilers being very interested in his services.
Lowe was Team Canada’s GM at the recently-concluded World Hockey Championships and chiefly responsible for selecting Sutter as head coach. Coincidentally, Team Canada was stockpiled with Oilers — Devan Dubnyk, Jordan Eberle, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins — as well as Everett defenseman Ryan Murray, a guy Edmonton has targeted with the No. 1 pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
That said, Lowe made it clear the topic of the Oilers gig didn’t come up at the Worlds.
“With the sacredness of the world championships and everything it means, [Sutter] didn’t need any distractions,” Lowe explained. “He’d just come from the Flames, making the mutual decision that he wasn’t going to continue to work with them, and he had a new coaching staff and team to learn in a short time.”
Lowe also said Edmonton will “ideally” have a coach in place before the June draft.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)