May 23, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
Yesterday when we heard about John Tortorella talking about praying for offensive success it kind of made sense given how much of a hard time his Rangers have had putting the puck in the net. When in doubt seek a higher source, right?
Turns out Tortorella is just a regular Louis C.K. on the side. During this morning’s meeting with the press, Tortorella was asked about his confidence in his offensive players to score goals and decided to make sure we were all in on the jokes.
“I have total confidence in our players. Again, this isn’t a new experience for us as we go into tonight’s game. So I have total confidence,” Tortorella said.
“I know I used that word ‘pray’ yesterday. It was a joke. There are a lot more important things to pray about than a win or a goal. So can I clear that up, please?”
The comment got a laugh out of reporters, but things have been so bad offensively for the Rangers that some might’ve taken him at his word about asking for divine intervention. With Martin Brodeur in goal and the Devils pressuring with an intense forecheck it might take an act of god to bring a plague of goals.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)