May 23, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
Yesterday when we heard about John Tortorella talking about praying for offensive success it kind of made sense given how much of a hard time his Rangers have had putting the puck in the net. When in doubt seek a higher source, right?
Turns out Tortorella is just a regular Louis C.K. on the side. During this morning’s meeting with the press, Tortorella was asked about his confidence in his offensive players to score goals and decided to make sure we were all in on the jokes.
“I have total confidence in our players. Again, this isn’t a new experience for us as we go into tonight’s game. So I have total confidence,” Tortorella said.
“I know I used that word ‘pray’ yesterday. It was a joke. There are a lot more important things to pray about than a win or a goal. So can I clear that up, please?”
The comment got a laugh out of reporters, but things have been so bad offensively for the Rangers that some might’ve taken him at his word about asking for divine intervention. With Martin Brodeur in goal and the Devils pressuring with an intense forecheck it might take an act of god to bring a plague of goals.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 8
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)