May 23, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
Yesterday when we heard about John Tortorella talking about praying for offensive success it kind of made sense given how much of a hard time his Rangers have had putting the puck in the net. When in doubt seek a higher source, right?
Turns out Tortorella is just a regular Louis C.K. on the side. During this morning’s meeting with the press, Tortorella was asked about his confidence in his offensive players to score goals and decided to make sure we were all in on the jokes.
“I have total confidence in our players. Again, this isn’t a new experience for us as we go into tonight’s game. So I have total confidence,” Tortorella said.
“I know I used that word ‘pray’ yesterday. It was a joke. There are a lot more important things to pray about than a win or a goal. So can I clear that up, please?”
The comment got a laugh out of reporters, but things have been so bad offensively for the Rangers that some might’ve taken him at his word about asking for divine intervention. With Martin Brodeur in goal and the Devils pressuring with an intense forecheck it might take an act of god to bring a plague of goals.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 13
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)