May 23, 2012, 6:47 PM EDT
Earlier today we wrote about the Goldwater Institute and pondered whether the taxpayer watchdog group would legally challenge the $17 million arena-management fee that the City of Glendale has tentatively approved payable to the Phoenix Coyotes to help facilitate a sale of the club to Greg Jamison.
Shortly after our post, the Goldwater president Darcy Olsen released the following statement:
“Although the Council approved an arena management fee in the budget Tuesday, nothing requires the Council to spend all or any part of it. The city could sign an arena management contract for less than that amount or for no amount at all if the city decides to manage the arena itself or put it out for competitive bidding. That said, we do believe this arena management fee is legally questionable if it is far greater than the value of the services to be provided. Additionally, Glendale taxpayers may choose to pursue future action to contest the fee by referendum. The Goldwater Institute cannot authoritatively comment on the legality of the deal until we and Glendale taxpayers can see the details. However, we are encouraged by reports that this deal will not include a massive up-front payment to help the buyer purchase the team, and we hope that the city will reach a deal that comports with the law and protects the interests of Glendale taxpayers.”
So basically Goldwater doesn’t have a problem with anything…yet. But if a $17 million payment is indeed part of the deal, Glendale better be prepared to justify it.
You have to laugh, really. A government praying nobody will stop it from handing millions of dollars to a private business. It’s pretty funny. Except for the taxpayers. Bit less funny for them.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)