May 23, 2012, 12:40 PM EDT
Could the Goldwater Institute end up scuttling another sale of the Phoenix Coyotes? The taxpayer watchdog group already forced Matthew Hulsizer to walk away; now it’s turning its attention to Greg Jamison’s bid.
If Goldwater’s going to object to anything, it’s likely to be the $17 million arena-management fee that the City of Glendale has tentatively approved payable to the Coyotes.
Is $17 million really an appropriate fee to manage city-owned Jobing.com Arena?
Or, in Arrested Development terms, are we talking about a $10 banana?
More from the Globe and Mail’s David Shoalts (who, the more we think about it, might be a secret Goldwater agent):
Carrie Ann Sitren, a Goldwater staff attorney, could not say officially how the institute will respond to the latest sale attempt until it sees a lease in writing. Council discussed the lease agreement in-camera Tuesday and no details came out in the public meeting aside from the payment. But Sitren made it clear even though there is no bond issue in the Jamison deal, the size of the management fee remains clearly in Goldwater’s sights.
She pointed to recent comments from outgoing Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs, who is one of three councillors opposed to the $17-million payment to Jamison, that a more reasonable management fee, based on her research, is $11-million.
Not that I have a ton of experience in these sorts of matters, but if Glendale really wants to funnel money to the Coyotes without the Goldwater Institute making a stink, isn’t that what secret slush funds, briefcases and late-night meetings in empty parking garages are for?
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)