May 23, 2012, 12:40 PM EST
Could the Goldwater Institute end up scuttling another sale of the Phoenix Coyotes? The taxpayer watchdog group already forced Matthew Hulsizer to walk away; now it’s turning its attention to Greg Jamison’s bid.
If Goldwater’s going to object to anything, it’s likely to be the $17 million arena-management fee that the City of Glendale has tentatively approved payable to the Coyotes.
Is $17 million really an appropriate fee to manage city-owned Jobing.com Arena?
Or, in Arrested Development terms, are we talking about a $10 banana?
More from the Globe and Mail’s David Shoalts (who, the more we think about it, might be a secret Goldwater agent):
Carrie Ann Sitren, a Goldwater staff attorney, could not say officially how the institute will respond to the latest sale attempt until it sees a lease in writing. Council discussed the lease agreement in-camera Tuesday and no details came out in the public meeting aside from the payment. But Sitren made it clear even though there is no bond issue in the Jamison deal, the size of the management fee remains clearly in Goldwater’s sights.
She pointed to recent comments from outgoing Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs, who is one of three councillors opposed to the $17-million payment to Jamison, that a more reasonable management fee, based on her research, is $11-million.
Not that I have a ton of experience in these sorts of matters, but if Glendale really wants to funnel money to the Coyotes without the Goldwater Institute making a stink, isn’t that what secret slush funds, briefcases and late-night meetings in empty parking garages are for?
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 0
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 8
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 10
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 34
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2