May 23, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
In early May, Calgary GM Jay Feaster said the Flames coaching search was in the “first inning.”
Today, the Flames sound like they’re looking at long relievers.
Or something like that.
“I would say by the end of this month, it would be more in the middle innings of the game,” Feaster told the Calgary Herald. “We don’t think it’s in our best interests to set an artificial deadline.
“We have a process. We’ve put that process together, and we’ve shared that process with ownership. Ownership has signed off on it, and we’re going to work that process.”
Feaster’s staying mum on specifics. The only nuggets of info he’s revealed are that 1) He had a master list of coaching candidates, 2) Assistants John Weisbrod and Craig Conroy added names to that list, 3) several coaches approached the Flames about the opening, and 4) the master list has been whittled down to a short list.
Hence the whole “middle innings” analogy.
Of course, Calgary still has plenty to conduct — the interview process (which I’m guessing is the seventh-inning stretch), player assessments and draft analysis, all of which ties into the head coaching position.
As for the type of coach the Flames are targeting, Feaster gave a brief glimpse into his preferred personality when discussing Rangers bench boss John Tortorella, who Feaster teamed with in Tampa Bay to win the 2004 Stanley Cup.
Torts has clashed with reporters all postseason long. Does playing nice with the media matter?
“In my mind, that’s not one of the requirements,” Feaster said. “What matters more is winning. There are an awfully lot of great guys and very congenial and outgoing guys who will interview with you a whole day.
“But if they’re not winning, they’re not going to be coaching long.”
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)