May 23, 2012, 2:19 PM EDT
In early May, Calgary GM Jay Feaster said the Flames coaching search was in the “first inning.”
Today, the Flames sound like they’re looking at long relievers.
Or something like that.
“I would say by the end of this month, it would be more in the middle innings of the game,” Feaster told the Calgary Herald. “We don’t think it’s in our best interests to set an artificial deadline.
“We have a process. We’ve put that process together, and we’ve shared that process with ownership. Ownership has signed off on it, and we’re going to work that process.”
Feaster’s staying mum on specifics. The only nuggets of info he’s revealed are that 1) He had a master list of coaching candidates, 2) Assistants John Weisbrod and Craig Conroy added names to that list, 3) several coaches approached the Flames about the opening, and 4) the master list has been whittled down to a short list.
Hence the whole “middle innings” analogy.
Of course, Calgary still has plenty to conduct — the interview process (which I’m guessing is the seventh-inning stretch), player assessments and draft analysis, all of which ties into the head coaching position.
As for the type of coach the Flames are targeting, Feaster gave a brief glimpse into his preferred personality when discussing Rangers bench boss John Tortorella, who Feaster teamed with in Tampa Bay to win the 2004 Stanley Cup.
Torts has clashed with reporters all postseason long. Does playing nice with the media matter?
“In my mind, that’s not one of the requirements,” Feaster said. “What matters more is winning. There are an awfully lot of great guys and very congenial and outgoing guys who will interview with you a whole day.
“But if they’re not winning, they’re not going to be coaching long.”
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 15
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)