May 23, 2012, 11:20 PM EDT
No doubt about it, the New Jersey Devils had some luck on their side as they shocked the New York Rangers with two early goals and climbed to a 3-0 lead in what was eventually a 5-3 win in Game 5. Depending on your perspective, the Devils either a) sat on the lead for most of the game or b) the Rangers stormed back (or maybe both). Either way, Patrik Elias admitted that the Devils didn’t feel overconfident about the win.
“We felt like we stole this one,” Elias said.
There might be some truth to that, yet if you look at the Rangers’ comeback it’s clear that both teams had some positive bounces. Brandon Prust scored the first playoff goal of his career. Ryan Callahan‘s 3-2 goal wasn’t waved off and Martin Brodeur got burned by the trapezoid on Marian Gaborik‘s goal.
Perhaps a less humble observer would say that the Devils were simply better at seizing their opportunities.
What do you think, though? Is it more about luck or skill for New Jersey right now?
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 0
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 61
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)