May 23, 2012, 12:46 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings are back in the Stanley Cup finals for the first time since 1993, but it took a wild Game 5 overtime win against the Phoenix Coyotes to do it. Following a questionable knee-to-knee hit by Dustin Brown on Michal Rozsival, Dustin Penner launched on a loose puck to finish things off 4-3 in OT, giving Los Angeles a 4-1 series victory.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Let’s get chatting.
- First things first, was that Brown hit suspension-worthy? If so, for how long?
- Wayne Gretzky powered the Kings’ last run to the Cup finals but was also a Coyotes head coach. Who – if anyone – do you think he was rooting for in this series? (He might not have cared.)
- There were some questionable calls, particularly in Game 5. Does the victory feel tainted to you or was it even enough? Speaking of penalties, a lot of people complained about delay of game minors. Does the league need to change that rule?
- Shane Doan was clearly livid about the Brown knee-to-knee (among other things?) in the handshake line. Where does that handshake line rank on the awkward scale? Just behind after Claude Lemieux delivered a dirty hit on the Red Wings and Martin Brodeur after Sean Avery’s windshield wiper motion? What are some of your other favorite awkward handshake line memories?
- OK, so it’s either the New Jersey Devils or New York Rangers for the Kings. Which team would be an “easier” matchup for Los Angeles? Either way, they’ll start on the road.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)