May 23, 2012, 12:46 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings are back in the Stanley Cup finals for the first time since 1993, but it took a wild Game 5 overtime win against the Phoenix Coyotes to do it. Following a questionable knee-to-knee hit by Dustin Brown on Michal Rozsival, Dustin Penner launched on a loose puck to finish things off 4-3 in OT, giving Los Angeles a 4-1 series victory.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Let’s get chatting.
- First things first, was that Brown hit suspension-worthy? If so, for how long?
- Wayne Gretzky powered the Kings’ last run to the Cup finals but was also a Coyotes head coach. Who – if anyone – do you think he was rooting for in this series? (He might not have cared.)
- There were some questionable calls, particularly in Game 5. Does the victory feel tainted to you or was it even enough? Speaking of penalties, a lot of people complained about delay of game minors. Does the league need to change that rule?
- Shane Doan was clearly livid about the Brown knee-to-knee (among other things?) in the handshake line. Where does that handshake line rank on the awkward scale? Just behind after Claude Lemieux delivered a dirty hit on the Red Wings and Martin Brodeur after Sean Avery’s windshield wiper motion? What are some of your other favorite awkward handshake line memories?
- OK, so it’s either the New Jersey Devils or New York Rangers for the Kings. Which team would be an “easier” matchup for Los Angeles? Either way, they’ll start on the road.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)